Are the rumor's about corded saws true?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188535

Chainsaw-wielding middle-schooler
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am an autistic 13-year-old chainsaw enthusiast and I want to get more Stihl chainsaws so I can one day start carving and get more power with my firewood business. I am thinking about getting an MSE 141 or MSE 170CBQ and I am an avid chaps wearer. I need to know if these rumors are true, and I know that all contact situations are different but i want to know if i should get an MS 194C ( Rear handle ) and an MS 170. A response would be much appreciated.

What rumor are you talking about?
I use gas saws as im usually nowhere near a power outlet while cutting wood.
A MS 170 will stop cutting pretty quickly when it hits chaps, a much more powerful corded electric saw can keep cutting for bit but so would a bigger gas saw.

T
What rumor are you talking about?
I use gas saws as im usually nowhere near a power outlet while cutting wood.
A MS 170 will stop cutting pretty quickly when it hits chaps, a much more powerful corded electric saw can keep cutting for bit but so would a bigger gas saw.
I mean if corded electric saws will stop in chaps. there is also an MSE 170 CBQ.

I've watched a few youtube videos testing chaps, the more powerful the saw the less effective the chaps. I've never tested my own chaps, I just hope they work if I hit my leg.
It's safer for you to run a gas powered 30-40cc saw when it comes to hitting chaps as they will stall out quicker than any electric saw, small gas saws have less power to spin the chain.
Corded electric saws are actually quite powerful so they will keep cutting when they hit the chaps just like a big gas saw does.

But a gas saw has a clutch
Electric corded saws don't so they just keep cutting
not sure if cordless saws have clutches,i have not had one in my hands
Idk about new corded stuff, I'd imagine they need to meet the same specs as cordless with overload cut out and all the anti kickback stuff. Doesn't take much to stall out my dewalt and you have to reset the trigger once it kicks out. Dad's ryobi chainsaw is the same way. Senses too much amp load and shuts off. The corded stuff I've used is all old as dirt, but I'd doubt any of them would get through chaps or pants either. Speculation though I don't plant to test it out on my cloggers or chaps.

But a gas saw has a clutch
Electric corded saws don't so they just keep cutting
not sure if cordless saws have clutches,i have not had one in my hands

The 540iXP has a built in stop-sensor that will stop the sprocket dead in its tracks. While I find it annoying, as mine doesn't work right, there is a very small reason why it's there.

Also, chain speed is lower on current battery saws than on a gas saw.

Get yourself a good pair of full protection trousers instead of chaps. In the uk most wear trousers, chaps only cover part and if an accident is going to happen it can just as easily happen where your legs not protected. So be safe and get full protection

Latest posts

Back