Vapor Lock & Fuel Geyser Awareness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,

This information was put together by the USFS and is a valuable "heads up" to those of us working around small engines in warm temperatures.

Recently I have personally experienced vapor lock... but luckily no fuel geysers... in a Stihl MS180 and 025 in ambient temperatures over 80 degrees.

Here is a direct link to the website in the attached PDF document:
https://sites.google.com/a/firenet.gov/national-fuel-geysering-awareness-campaign/

The web site contains incident reports and several interesting and sobering videos which are well worth the time to watch.

This issue has been "enabled" by EPA mandated non-vented fuel tanks which allow pressure buildup. Stihl "flippy caps" have exacerbated the situation as they don't allow the gradual release of pressure like a screw cap.

Please feel free to share this post with your friends and co-workers who use saws and other gas powered equipment. Stay safe out there.

Attachments

• Fuel Geyser Awareness.pdf
    35.8 KB · Views: 24
Nice article. Thanks for sharing! I personally have experienced vapor lock as well as the fuel geysers on my Stihl Ms361. You learn really quick to twist the cap open just enough to slowly let the pressure off. It's not hard to do once you do it a couple of times, but slightly annoying to always have to pay attention to.

About a week or so ago, I was using my blower. It was about 105 out. I went to check the fuel level and began to unscrew the fuel tank cap. I could feel that it was under pressure, so I slowly unscrewed it.

No geyser, but I did get mix all over my hand. First time it's ever done that. :nofunny:

Don't, they turn into red basketballs when its hot and the spouts fail quickly leaking fuel everywhere unless you have one made by midwest.

Latest posts

Back