Vermeer 1800XL not feeding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

250R

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 1800xl wont feed in both forward or reverse. I checked for any thing obvious that would cause this but found nothing. The lights are "on" the Smart Feed box. I checked the wire harness, wiggle test from control panel to feed wheel motors. Switched the hyd. solenoids. Ohmed the solenoids. Checked for breaks in the harness. Checked both fuses.The winch works. Where is the tach located on this machine? On my old 1800a's tach was on the bell housing easy to check and adjust. Just cant find it on the XL.

I haven't yet looked at the speed control. That might be the problem.

A feed roller that does not turn in either direction should be easier to diagnose, compared to one that turns in one direction.

Assuming Vermeer did not reinvent the control circuits between models, the BC1000XL works as follows...
The autofeed controller does not control reverse, unless the droop value (engine rpm drops below a preset value) is exceeded. Even if the controller has failed the rollers should reverse, but the rollers will not forward feed.

If you do not see a magnetic pickup the speed signal could be derived from the alternator. If you have a Tach on this model (which is working), the pickup signal is good. If not is the (Tach Strength) LED on bright?

Regardless roller reverse will not be affected by a faulty Tach signal.

Monitor the switch functions with the key turned to on, without the engine running....

Does the controller LED (Fwd On) light up when the bar is moved to the forward feed direction?
How about the LED (Reverse On) when the bar is moved to reverse feed?

If no joy there is a switch/wiring problem.

If the above LEDs check OK confirm that both feed roller solenoids are around 6 ohms. Check for 12V at the solenoids while operating the feed control bar. Without a meter you should hear the solenoids fire when the bar is toggled.

If all the above check OK the fault is in the hydraulic circuit.

Is there a third solenoid in this machine? The BC1000 has 2 and a unused connector for a third. This is a hydraulic over pressure switch, tied in with the Oil/Water OK LED circuit.

Back