Vertical or Horizontal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verticle or Horizontal

• Verticle

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Horizontal

Votes: 29 87.9%

• Total voters
one more.

otpxg9.jpg

It is pretty fun to watch the clutch cover build up, and then expel two handfuls worth of noodles in a bit of a poof. Has anyone noodled with .404? Curious as to how large those are.

I like noodling with my Stihl MS441. I got a spare clutch cover and removed the chain gaurd. Cuts way down on clogs and the saw produces impressive rooster tails.

Vertical. All that bending over and lifting wood onto the horizontal beam adds too much labor to what is already work. I split sitting down.

Maybe being 6' 2" with a long wingspan and being nimble gives me an advantage. But I find it easier to sit on a block and roll all my rounds to the splitter, much easier than lifting. I use all four limbs to prop and balance the biggest rounds, but anything 20" dia. and smaller I just rake it toward the splitter, often using a picaroon, and roll it into standing position. I toss the splits into whatever direction works, and stand up only to gather a few more rounds into my work area.

A while back I tried splitting a few rounds on the horizontal beam and found it to be a pain.

After cutting to firewood lengths I back along the log with 3-pt tractor mounted vertical splitter and roll the rounds on.

I think the only way to settle which is better is for everybody to bring their favorite type of splitter down to my place. I will make sure to have a pile of wood of various sizes, species, knotty and straight. Bring a few of those ported saws when you come. At the end of the day, we should know for sure which splitting method is best, who makes the fastest splitter, and which ported saw is fastest.

I think the only way to settle which is better is for everybody to bring their favorite type of splitter down to my place. I will make sure to have a pile of wood of various sizes, species, knotty and straight. Bring a few of those ported saws when you come. At the end of the day, we should know for sure which splitting method is best, who makes the fastest splitter, and which ported saw is fastest.

Best answer.

Will raise to regular height ,can't find a picture right now . Have what I call a swing axil can lift the back end up using the cylinder . If you look close enough you can see the axil turns 180 an be regular height .

Will raise to regular height ,can't find a picture right now . Have what I call a swing axil can lift the back end up using the cylinder . If you look close enough you can see the axil turns 180 an be regular height .

A guy up here told me that when they first started using roll around splitters and they were all horiz. types, would dig a trench big enough to hold the splitter and deep enough so that the beam was level with the ground.They'ed roll the blocks straight from the ground to the beam.

A guy up here told me that when they first started using roll around splitters and they were all horiz. types, would dig a trench big enough to hold the splitter and deep enough so that the beam was level with the ground.They'ed roll the blocks straight from the ground to the beam.

That sounds like instant bachache having to stoop over to operate the valve...unless they mounted it up on a stalk.

Both - roll off pickup tailgate to beam on horizontal splitter. Roll/Push big rounds to the ground. When a big enough pile on the ground, raise to vertical and roll/hold on the foot, split into sizes that can be lifted when splitter is back in horizontal....(where it belongs - ha!). Throw in trailer or loader bucket and take to stack area.

AOK, I went back and checked, but couldn't find, did you build this splitter. I't looks like a modified "Lickity Splitter"? The Lickity's would lay down and a cable to the ram pulled them back up. They were built by the Waco Aircraft Co. Very well made, engineered splitters in their day, Joe.
KmgkuCG.jpg

I tried going vertical today and I must say, I'm still not a big fan. It went ok but rolling those 30'' green water oak rounds around and lining them up on the splitter is not my idea of fun. I'm sure my back will regret it tonight and in the morning. In my opinion, noodling vs vertical is just trading one type of work for another. After noodling yesterday and doing it vertical today, I prefer noodling instead, it seems like lit's about the same amount of time but noodling is easier for me.

I tried going vertical today and I must say, I'm still not a big fan. It went ok but rolling those 30'' green water oak rounds around and lining them up on the splitter is not my idea of fun. I'm sure my back will regret it tonight and in the morning. In my opinion, noodling vs vertical is just trading one type of work for another. After noodling yesterday and doing it vertical today, I prefer noodling instead, it seems like lit's about the same amount of time but noodling is easier for me.

It's at least 70% personal preference.

Same here but noodling has the added benefit of being enjoyable work...

Same here but noodling has the added benefit of being enjoyable work...

There ya go - personal preferences. Doesn't mean one is right or the other is wrong.

I would much rather split than noodle. My preference might change if someone dropped an ms660 at my doorstep....

That's one of my problems, I think everyone has as many saws as I do. I think I have 5 saws over 90CC's. The 100CC Homelites with .404 chain are noodling beasts, Joe.

Anything over 20" or so gets busted up vertically..it's pretty easy to roll a bunch a rounds around the splitter and sit on my mechanics stool and go to town. Noodling to me is just a bunch of unnecessary work and mess ..if I'm gonna run a
2-stroke for fun it's gonna be my Honda not a chainsaw.

Latest posts

Back