Very happy with my Echo 490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyinTN

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It is such a joy to use a saw that is so easy to start, both cold and warm. Cold, flip the toggle switch up, pull the choke out, and give it 2 pulls and your in business. Warm, one easy pull. I am not kidding when I tell you a 8 year old can pull it. Tank of fuel seems to last at least an hour.
No muss, no fuss, no tuning, no altering screws. In all fairness though, I had a hard time starting it first time out of the box. One squirt of starting fluid took care of that.
I plan on buying two more Echos this year. CS361 and Timberwolf.

L like what I see in Echo. I have a CS355T and a few other Echo products, and they're easy starting and frugal on fuel too. I see a lot of Echo being used by the landscapers in my area, and there are a lot of them working.

Skip the Timber Wolf and get big brother CS620P! You won't be disappointed... It was worth it to me after handling the two. See if your dealer will let you try both out. There is a difference in power and feel. I bought the 620 with a 27" bar and then got with @fordf150 for an adapter and a 20" for a stihl saw. Makes getting chains easier. I went ahead and bought a couple for each bar from him but in a pinch, it is nice to have a choice locally.

Never ran a 620 but the 590 is an amazing saw for the money, plenty of ballz. Only draw back to the 590 with 20” bar is its 70dl, not 72dl like most 20”. Since I had plenty of chains I didn’t worry about converting to a 72dl bar. I just pick up a ported 590 so I’m looking forward to how it cuts. Other than a muffler mod and retune the stock 590s are beasts. And yes, with mm and retune the 490s are great handling/running saws too. Some will call me nuts but for my preference I got rid of my 5105s and kept the 490s.

Both my Stihls are from 3 to five yanks depending oh how long since last ran and if you can get to the choke to jacked idle/run position in time.
My Dolmar starts most of the time with 2, one choke and one off choke...if you pull to you get a pop on choke, it's gonna take 3 more off choke to get it running. I know that sounds like something needs adjusting on the Dolmar but it runs so good I hate to start fixin it.

Sounds like ECHO should give STIHL some lessons when it comes to starting.

If ANY one of my STIHL machines started on the 1st pull when cold, I'd pass out from shock.
I've found that all of my 2 cycle engines start better now that I'm running 89 octane gas. All I can get is E-10, but I run fuel medic in my mix.

I haven't ran one, but they sure feel good when you pick them up. It seems like they're the best bang for the buck in homeowner saws.
i'm a stihl guy but i have run @James Miller 's Echos. very smooth and enough power for what we saw around here. the 590 is a great saw. i'm not sure why they are classified as a homeowner saw. here's his 590 noodling a big cherry stump today.
20180316_121440.jpg

I've found that all of my 2 cycle engines start better now that I'm running 89 octane gas. All I can get is E-10, but I run fuel medic in my mix.

I've been using nothing but 40:1 TruFuel in all of my O P E.

I wasn't sure what octane it was rated at. I went and checked, and it's 92 octane.

Never ran a 620 but the 590 is an amazing saw for the money, plenty of ballz. Only draw back to the 590 with 20” bar is its 70dl, not 72dl like most 20”. Since I had plenty of chains I didn’t worry about converting to a 72dl bar. I just pick up a ported 590 so I’m looking forward to how it cuts. Other than a muffler mod and retune the stock 590s are beasts. And yes, with mm and retune the 490s are great handling/running saws too. Some will call me nuts but for my preference I got rid of my 5105s and kept the 490s.
Your gona like that ported 590. In the long run it' a much better deal then a 620p.

It is such a joy to use a saw that is so easy to start, both cold and warm. Cold, flip the toggle switch up, pull the choke out, and give it 2 pulls and your in business. Warm, one easy pull. I am not kidding when I tell you a 8 year old can pull it. Tank of fuel seems to last at least an hour.
No muss, no fuss, no tuning, no altering screws. In all fairness though, I had a hard time starting it first time out of the box. One squirt of starting fluid took care of that.
I plan on buying two more Echos this year. CS361 and Timberwolf.
Take the tube out of the muffler retune and swap it to 3/8lp it will really realy impress you.20180315_193625.jpgI've been very happy with my echo saws. Ported 590, 490 I played with a little, and stock for now 355t

Back