weird tree killer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
did a removal on a large pine. tree was solid all the way to the top,except for one place. a foot thick and rotton ,about 6-8 feet up on the trunck. didnt see any bugs or such. havnt seen this
type ,what ever ,before.ps apologise ,guess this ought to be on the other forum.

Off the wall, but was it out in the open? When I was at my dads in Florida this winter I cut down a dead palm for him and after cutting it up I found some pellets and looked again and could see where it had been shot with a shotgun who knows how long ago! It's his winter home, not like he was there when it happened I'm sure.

it was one of two trees in a fairly lg yd. that sounds like as
good of guess as any. it was really rotton so i didnt see any pellets . i just dont under stand how the upper pt could remain solid unless this rotton pt was still alowing some sap to go up.
like i say ,this was a first for me.

What species of pine? Where I live the white pines can sometimes exhibit something like this; we call it red-rot. Many hardwoods have symptoms like this occasionally, too.

The tree stays alive because the Xylem and Phloem are all in the cambium layer on the outside. The real question is what kept the tree from breaking off in the wind?

it was a yellow pinel. i think the tree would have gone at any time.thanks for the info.mabe someday ill get the abilitiy to post pictures. im like u ,kinda wonder why it was still standing as the trunk broke when i brought it dn.

hey Tony, I cut down an oak last week that had barbed wire nailed to it. Probably 20" at the butt, above the barbed wire the tree kind of split and grew back together. Above that, all the way to the first fork, (probably 15-20') the tree had a 6" diameter hole up thru the center. The hole was so slick, it looked like it had been bored. First for me. Will make something out of it, a shovel and pic holder or something. My wife wants some slices to make picture frames.

Hey Wolf, Wait till you find a Freakin Horse Shoe embedded inside of one.
After you change the chain Luck has it
8" up the trunk you find another!!!!!

Oak in my back yard has a ring scar and a length of chain hanging out of it about 12 feet up. Must have been to tie the dog to long ago. Weird tree, 60 feet tall and acorns the size of peas, kinda tiny, no?

Latest posts

Back