what are the differences between jonsered and husqvarna?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtracy1223

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I always see people saying that jonsered and husqvarna are "the same saw just different color". Is this true? Is the only difference the color or are there other things that are different between the two? If so what are they? For those that own both what saw do you like better? I am trying to make up my mind on what 70 cc saw I would like to add to the line up. The 371/372 husky or 2171/2172 jred are at the top of my list but am always intertaining other ideas :) the idea of getting a new jred already ported from mr landrum (heck I hope I spelled his name right) is really hitting me hard with tax season comming.

Thansk:jeff

Good start. The angle on the husqvarna handles seem odd to me but never ran one just picked em up to look at them so I have no real world experence.

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using Tapatalk 2

Sex Appeal. Jonsereds are "hotter" than Husqvarnas.:laugh: Personally, it would be Jonsered if it were between 2172 or 372xp or the 2188 vs 390xp. I dont like the look of the high top husq over the Jonsereds. If you go with the Husq.... opt for the 365 (saves you some coin and comes with the low top cover). Ive never had any filtration issues with 2153, 2171, 2188, 2 359s, or the 288. High top isn't necessary for my cutting.

Good start. The angle on the husqvarna handles seem odd to me but never ran one just picked em up to look at them so I have no real world experence.

About the angled husky handles... I personally would have to say the 7 degree off set is much more enjoyable to cut with than a straight handle. To me its a more "natural" position for your hand to be in.

Handle angle is one difference. I happen to think they have a better looking saw with the color and plastic differences. In the 2166-365/2172-372xp class the Jonsereds have a lower profile air filter housing. I happen to like that more than the higher profile Husqvarna air filer housing. That is one of the issues that will lead me to red saws in the future...ONE of the issues. I have a 2172

I had a 2172 that was truly a fun saw to run in stock form I would like to run a ported 2172.If you buy one from Terry I am sure you will be very happy .I have been looking at his port work on his website he dose some top notch work.

In the case of the 562XP and the J-Red 2260, they are essentially the same, other than the noted bar angle above and the Husq uses "Large mount Husq" and the J-Red uses "Small mount Husq".

Minor differences, but the same for the most part.

There are many marketing similarities between the two brands of the Husqvarna Group:

Code:
JONSERED         HUSQVARNA
CLEAN POWER™     X-Torq®     
PEAKPULSE        RevBoost™ 
SPIN START™      Smart Start® 
TURBO            Air Injection™
ULTICOR®         - - -
- - -            XP®

After having decades of running different Partner chainsaws, we changed to Jonsered brand, and currently added to a mix of Jonsered and Stihl.

If looking for a 70cc, look at the Jonsered 2166. When ported it is the same as the 2172 just less money. I have a ported 2166 from Tlandrum and it's a great saw.
Tlandrum sells a new ported saw ready to go.

Tlandrum Ported 2166 with 28" 3/8 .050 Techlite Bar and Stihl RS chain with 7 pin rim. Waiting for the Sugihara 24" bar to arrive.
IMG_1630_zpsa7900f9f.jpg

If looking for a 70cc, look at the Jonsered 2166. When ported it is the same as the 2172 just less money. I have a ported 2166 from Tlandrum and it's a great saw.

Ported the 2166 is the same as a stock 2172 or a ported 2172? How do the two compair if both ported?

The amount of differenses get larger the older the saws are, , and originally the brands were completly seperte.

By now all Jonsered models are based on a Husky model. The last ones that weren't, were discontinued a little ower a decade ago (2095, 2077 and 2055).

I like both brands. They both cut well. I don't know about stock performance as I have never run a stock saw since the mid 70s. Terry makes a very nice saw.

Back