Last year of big CC jonsered inboard clutch saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunez

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a 80+ cc jonsered saw for
milling. I really prefer an inboard clutch and a throttle lock would be a big bonus. I was originally looking at a 2100cd but I have heard the crazy high compression saws can have warm restart issues which really drive me nuts. What year did jred stop doing design changes and just become red huskys?

looks like all the 80+ CCs jonsereds had outboard clutches. I may have to settle for a 70cc saw. Looking at the 2083/2077 (15 lbs for 77cc) or the 2171 (13.5 lbs for 70cc). Both have inboard clutches. Does anything besides the extra 6.5cc of power make the 2083 better suited for milling over the 2171?

The 2083 had overheating issues, and thats why the 2083 II is 77 cc, definitely not a good candidate for milling, rarity of parts for them would strike it completley off my list. If you are wanting a true Jonsereds designed saw though, it is not one. It is a Partner 7700 in Red.
I would not reccomend milling with one due to rarity, but, the 90, 111, 80, or 801 would check off all of your boxes. The last true Jonsereds design was the 910E, and it, and the other saws based on that chassis, including the 2094 are outboard clutch.
If you have to have a red saw to mill with, the 2188 is essentially a 390xp, and it is inboard clutch, with much better parts availibility.

As for hot restart issues with a 2100, I have not experienced any, but they can be a bear to pull over. While parts availability is better for those than others mentioned, I'd be looking at a 660, 661, 394/5, 880/881 or a 3120. I have a bunch of large displacement saws, but I mill with a kit 660...

The 2083 had overheating issues, and thats why the 2083 II is 77 cc, definitely not a good candidate for milling, rarity of parts for them would strike it completley off my list. If you are wanting a true Jonsereds designed saw though, it is not one. It is a Partner 7700 in Red.
I would not reccomend milling with one due to rarity, but, the 90, 111, 80, or 801 would check off all of your boxes. The last true Jonsereds design was the 910E, and it, and the other saws based on that chassis, including the 2094 are outboard clutch.
If you have to have a red saw to mill with, the 2188 is essentially a 390xp, and it is inboard clutch, with much better parts availibility.

As for hot restart issues with a 2100, I have not experienced any, but they can be a bear to pull over. While parts availability is better for those than others mentioned, I'd be looking at a 660, 661, 394/5, 880/881 or a 3120. I have a bunch of large displacement saws, but I mill with a kit 660...
Thanks for that good info! I really just wanted an onboard clutch 80cc+ husky and I thought jred was my only option. I just learned that the 390xp came with an inboard clutch so that may be my best bet. Is there a reason you prefer the stihls over the huskys for milling?

Haha yes I first found out about the 2188/2186 jonsereds which are red 390xps but I thought they modified them to be onboard clutches. I didn’t realize the 390 was an onboard to begin with. Milling is going to break stuff so it sounds like I just need to find a good used 390xp and be done with it

Thanks for that good info! I really just wanted an onboard clutch 80cc+ husky and I thought jred was my only option. I just learned that the 390xp came with an inboard clutch so that may be my best bet. Is there a reason you prefer the stihls over the huskys for milling?
No reason whatsoever, I just run the kit saw as I would rather burn it up than my 2100 etc, all of my other large displacement saws are vintage.

Don't get a 390xp for milling, yes it will do just fine, but the inboard clutch keeps extra heat too close to the saw, the outboard clutch is preferred for this reason. The 394/5xp should be what your looking at. The 390xp is an excellent saw for felling large trees, but just falls slightly inadequate on the mill. The exact opposite is true of the 394/5xp. It's great on the mill and about sucks to fell with.

Crap already pulled the trigger on a Jonny 2186 for $500. Anything I can do tuning wise to combat the heat?

Latest posts

Back