What do you put into your ultrasonic cleaner USC?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

half_full

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was excited to get a usc for Christmas. It's just the cheap harbor freight model but I've used it on a few carbs with great results.
I've read just about every thread on how people use them and what they use for the cleaner/degreaser.
I see many mentions of carbs being soaked, some mention side covers, cylinders,,,

The one thing I didn't see (I'm sure some wise acre is going to post a link to the one thread I missed) is what you use your for.

On side covers do I need to completely disassemble, remove spring, rope, pulley? Or just drop it in?

Clutch cover with brake still intact? Can I drop a clutch in there? Crank shaft with big end bearing on it?

I know it sounds cheap but wouldn't it clean fuel filters and air filters?

Assumption is that one would dry and oil parts that need it.
You get the point. I clean every saw I get used. I spend way too much time doing so because I'm anal like that.

Don't make fun of me or I'll call you a whistle pusher paper limpwrist blower. :dizzy:

that's the only way to get a saw clean

cranks all in then oil when cleaned and rinsed off with hot water

just take everything apart down too the last piece and get all the big crud off

there fun too clean everything

The one thing I didn't see (I'm sure some wise acre is going to post a link to the one thread I missed) is what you use your for.

A lot of those threads do discuss what people use them for. Carbs, saw chains, jewelry, gun parts, . . .

I have a HF USC and some what limited by the physical size of things that will fit in there. But have used it for bicycle parts, garage sale tools, used fasteners, etc., in addition to chainsaw parts. One option for cleaning things, among several.

I would not put things in there that I would have trouble getting the water or solvent out of. After you 'break' crud loose from an item, you still need to rinse it off/out. So, my preference is to break things down to their most basic pieces before USC. E.g. carb pieces, but not a whole carb.

Also tried it to remove rust from pre-sets using vinegar as the solvent.

Philbert

We use 10-15% solution of CLR in ours at work, it works awesome, but can be aggressive on brass and plpated steel, leaves brass etched and super clean, makes any zinc plated parts turn black if its run for more than one cycle.

I have try ed about everything except CLR... I know it works but maybe too good and I would worry about what it does to the IN SIDE PASSAGES of a carb.

I used Dawn Blue & Tide liquid for a long time with great results. I have switched to a product from the Dollar store called AWESOME....I like that best of all. It makes the aluminum housing of a carb sparkle bad cleans well!! And it's cheap.... $3 for 3 liters. I use it at 100-125 degrees on carbs and get great results.

I have yet to use Pine Solar but I have a bottle. The results of a piston another member posted using it was outstanding!!!

Don't be like me and think heat is you friend on carbs......maybe other pieces but the metals in carbs react to chemicals in some of these products.....especially when hot. I'm sure side covers and such would be fine. I had a couple carbs come out looking parkerized from to much heat. Didn't affect there function but to me they looked like hell.

You will really enjoy your unit....oh ya you'll want a bigger one in no time.

I have one, not impressed at all with it.
Have an actual parts washer which works much better.
Also have a commericial dishwasher I'm turning into a parts washer when I get some time to hook it up.

pine-sol.

Keep the heat down, or it will strip the finish off everything (bluing, black oxide, zinc plating, paint...)

pine-sol.

Keep the heat down, or it will strip the finish off everything (bluing, black oxide, zinc plating, paint...)
It's the truth!!!!! It can make your carb look like an AR.

Thanks jar44, I believe your my Pine - Sol man!!

Another cleaner that's good is Sharper Techs Shellac buster....but it's spend @ $160 for 5 gallons

I have switched to a product from the Dollar store called AWESOME....
Note that 'LA's Totally Awesome All Purpose Cleaner' contains sodium hydroxide (lye), which is great for dissolving grease, but reacts with aluminum. Be careful with extended exposure to aluminum parts.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back