What Does the 'Chip Deflector' Really Do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
OK - smarta** answers:
- 'deflects chips!';
- clogs up the clutch cover when noodling;
- makes money for STIHL when they fall off and get replaced.

Screen shot 2018-09-16 at 1.12.54 PM.png

But what is it really intended to do, and is there any safety benefit for it? In a discussion with someone who states it is an important safety feature of the saw.

Are these a STIHL only feature?

Thanks.

Philbert

OK - smarta** answers:
- 'deflects chips!';
- clogs up the clutch cover when noodling;
- makes money for STIHL when they fall off and get replaced.

View attachment 675272

But what is it really intended to do, and is there any safety benefit for it? In a discussion with someone who states it is an important safety feature of the saw.

Are these a STIHL only feature?

Thanks.

Philbert
I've learned from experience that it keeps wood chips out of the air filter/carburetor area. It does clog the clutch cover noodling. I decided to put the deflector back on after the filter getting completely clogged with huge amounts of wood chips over and over. Saws were 562xp and 2172. FWIW

I lost mine on a MS261 and you realise there purpose more when you run you saw without the deflector. Often the rubber is chewed up from chain and hard sticks that get pulled in. I'm now missing one of the two cast lobes or little poles that hold the deflector in place. You can buy Chinese ones in packs of 10 pretty cheap but they are model specific and won't fit on all saws. Like the plastic chain guides that plug into your clutch cover, they certainly are there for good reason.

I lost mine on a MS261 and you realise there purpose more when you run you saw without the deflector.
What did you notice most without the chip deflectors?

Will the single remaining post hold a replacement deflector in place? Maybe hot-melt glue? Thread a screw through the side cover to replace the missing post?

Philbert

Keeps your clutch cover in one piece when you throw the chain. Really good spare part to have around.

If you're cheap, just fill in the gouge with black shoe goo when the flap gets hogged out.

I run full wrap 390 clutch covers on my 372s, the chip flap is about 4x thicker.

If I remember right, the same thing goes for stihl, the clutch cover that comes with the full wrap models run a bigger chip flap. Nice little upgrade. I just have the saw shop swap out for the bigger cover when I buy a new one and pay the price difference.

Pretty sure it’s a good thing to have when your cutting in the bush all day. A lot of cuts for bucking must be made with the saw pointing straight down, if the deflector were not there you would have chips shooting straight up.
This gets into your clothing and down your neck, extremely irritating. At least with the deflector your getting chips directed horizontally at that position.

It is certainly possible to wear a hole in the clutch cover from high velocity chips is there is no resilient material present. The photo was last year and my finger is much better now...

20171009_192836.jpg

Some folks just go overboard on the deflector "skirt". I suppose if you were cutting big softwood all day long with a 60" bar there would be a lot of chips pouring out of there.

20171009_192725.jpg

Mark

It is certainly possible to wear a hole in the clutch cover from high velocity chips is there is no resilient material present. The photo was last year and my finger is much better now...

View attachment 679802

Some folks just go overboard on the deflector "skirt". I suppose if you were cutting big softwood all day long with a 60" bar there would be a lot of chips pouring out of there.

View attachment 679803

Mark
Buckin billy Ray has a leather deflector like that lol.
On an off topic note I for the life of me cannot figure out what kind of exhaust he is running on his 372...

Buckin billy Ray has a leather deflector like that lol.
On an off topic note I for the life of me cannot figure out what kind of exhaust he is running on his 372...
He’s got dual tubes iirc ... done by Walkers saw shop out in B.C. near Nanaimo ... I’ve inquired about what else was “done” to it (decking ; porting etc ) on Buckin Billy Rays’ channel ... Buckin is keepin it tight to the vest lol ... all I could get was “she cuts eh ? “ haha

He’s got dual tubes iirc ... done by Walkers saw shop out in B.C. near Nanaimo ... I’ve inquired about what else was “done” to it (decking ; porting etc ) on Buckin Billy Rays’ channel ... Buckin is keepin it tight to the vest lol ... all I could get was “she cuts eh ? “ haha
Lmao it honestly doesn’t miss a beat in all the videos I’ve watched. It also literally purrs like a kitten, unreal.

Thx for the info

Back