How does a chainsaw work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How to Replace the Primer Bulb on an Echo Trimmer ...

https://www.ereplacementparts.com › article › How_...

The primer bulb (also known as the purge bulb) is part of your trimmer's carburetor. Its purpose is to prime the engine for starting by pumping fuel into the ...
You cut the quote short. "The primer bulb (also known as the purge bulb) is part of your trimmer's carburetor. Its purpose is to prime the engine for starting by pumping fuel into the carburetor. This also removes air from the carburetor, which helps the engine start more quickly and easily."

From post 1 "Likewise, a primer bulb draws additional fuel through the carburetor which enters the cylinder before the engine is started."

Note how post 1 claims the fuel gets into the cylinder. I looked at packaging for one and it is called a primer bulb but if these all position carbs were considered like a float bowl type the bulb just takes air or fuel from the float bowl and pushes it back to the tank, more pure fuel will then come in.

Franny K, I didn't cut it off, the google search did. The rest can be found in the link.

Primer bulb past its prime? It's time to face the fix. Whether you are a legendary landscaper or a weekend weed whacker, eReplacementParts.com provides the parts, procedures and facts you need to fearlessly fix what fails you.

The primer bulb (also known as the purge bulb) is part of your trimmer's carburetor. Its purpose is to prime the engine for starting by pumping fuel into the carburetor. This also removes air from the carburetor, which helps the engine start more quickly and easily.

Over time, the primer bulb may begin to deteriorate or crack. Fortunately, replacing the primer bulb is very easy to do. This article provides step-by-step instructions for removing and installing the primer bulb on an Echo SRM-225 trimmer.

Franny K, I didn't cut it off, the google search did. The rest can be found in the link.

Primer bulb past its prime? It's time to face the fix. Whether you are a legendary landscaper or a weekend weed whacker, eReplacementParts.com provides the parts, procedures and facts you need to fearlessly fix what fails you.

The primer bulb (also known as the purge bulb) is part of your trimmer's carburetor. Its purpose is to prime the engine for starting by pumping fuel into the carburetor. This also removes air from the carburetor, which helps the engine start more quickly and easily.

Over time, the primer bulb may begin to deteriorate or crack. Fortunately, replacing the primer bulb is very easy to do. This article provides step-by-step instructions for removing and installing the primer bulb on an Echo SRM-225 trimmer.
I believe Fran is just pointing out some of the incorrect information given in the first post. Purge/Primer bulb labelling frequently causes confusion among those new to 2 strokes. The bulb on a chainsaw is almost always an air purge (wondering if the rare 4 stroke saws have a bulb?), even though it's frequently labelled as a primer bulb (which creates debate about the traditionally usage of the word prime/primer and the specialized action specific to machinery). This bulb does not pass fuel into the cylinder or crankcase, it just cycles it through the lines, the carb and back into the tank. You cannot flood an engine this way.

The OP used the debated "correct/incorrect" term for the bulb, which isn't great but can be chalked up to translations or regional variations. But then they provided the definition/explanation of the incorrect function in this situation, showing they copied information without checking it, or they have a lack of understanding about how chainsaws work, which is a bit worrying considering they manufacture/sell parts for chainsaws.

I have a few of their carbs that work fine, almost good, that I keep around as a known quantity for testing, or as a spare tire until something else arrives. If they are a sponsor, paying money to keep the lights on for this forum, that's not a bad thing. I haven't stalked their posts, but this one doesn't seem like they are trying to flog their wares, just gives very basic information that might draw in newbies from search engines to help feed the forums. The information is pointless to me, and just about every single forum member, but I don't think we are the intended audience.
and if we are raising kids/ grand kids properly, there are always silent Newbies

How to Replace the Primer Bulb on an Echo Trimmer ...

https://www.ereplacementparts.com › article › How_...

The primer bulb (also known as the purge bulb) is part of your trimmer's carburetor. Its purpose is to prime the engine for starting by pumping fuel into the ...
The issue is people confuse what a purge and primer do, and use them interchangeably but they do totally different things. This is clearly stated in both walbro and Zama carbs manuals. Purge bulb remove air from the carb. It purges the air from the carb.
Primers physically put fuel into the engine. Typically they do nothing to the carb.

Back