Fuel : 2T oil & gasoline lubricating & cooling question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KostasVolos

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does the following stand true,
at least from a theoretical point of view ?
Yesterday ,during a conversation
someone claimed that :

" The fuel mix ( gasoline & 2T oil ) has rather the form of an aerosol
( tiny droplets of a liquid suspended in a gas medium ) when it leaves the carburetor and enters the intake port ,into the lower part of an 2 stroke small engine.
At the lower part of the engine the fuel contacts the hot surfaces of the crankshaft ,connecting rod ,bearings and the underside of the piston .While absorbing heat
( energy ) the gasoline boils and
changes state from tiny liquid droplets into gas.The oil absorbs heat also ,but due to higher flash and boiling points will not enter the gas state and remain in liquid form .Thus as the piston moves towards BDC the gasoline in gas state mixed with air will pass through the transfer port into the combustion chamber ,where they will be ignited.
The oil remaining at the lower part of the engine will lubricate the main bearings and the bearings of the connecting rod .It will also lubricate the piston skirt and help
the sealing job of the piston ring(s). There's only a small percentage of oil entering the combustion chamber.Most of it
stays on the lower part of engine.
Gasoline cools the lower part of engine ,while being the actual fuel in the combustion chamber ,on the other hand the oil cools and lubricates the lower part of the engine.If excessive amount of oil enters for some reason the top part of the engine ( combustion chamber ) and gets burned along with the gasoline/air mix it will cause only trouble ,like a fouled spark plug and carbon deposits at the ring(s) groove(s) ,piston crown ,exhaust port and muffler."

Accurate until the last paragraph. Gasoline cools, oil lubricates. You to have a phase change to accomplish this.
All of the oil is eventually combusted, what causes deposits/smoke is a fuel to air ratio that is too rich which causes incomplete combustion.
If oil does get combusted ,does
it burn clean ?
I mean my old diesel truck can actually burn almost any kind of oil as fuel ,but the main issue will be clogged injectors and way lots
of black shoot as combustion byproducts .

I'm not so sure that if oil does get combusted burns that clean ,so it won't cause any carbon shoot build up .

Furthermore ,I think that there are
few synthetics that actually do not get combusted,since they do not burn at all .They will evaporate at some point ,but will never ignite.

I'm not so sure if I have understood correctly ,but it is not
necessary to have a phase change to achieve cooling .
Oil can cool the engine metal surfaces also.
It has lower thermal conductivity than gasoline ( = slower to absorb heat ) ,but has lot more
thermal capacitance ( = can "store" much more heat ) than gasoline does.
Oil absorbs heat also and it's temperature rises of course ,without necessarily changing phase.This temperature increase
affects it's viscosity and actually makes oil molecules to move "faster" into forming a thin lubricating layer on moving metal surfaces.

If oil does get combusted ,does
it burn clean ?
I mean my old diesel truck can actually burn almost any kind of oil as fuel ,but the main issue will be clogged injectors and way lots
of black shoot as combustion byproducts .

I'm not so sure that if oil does get combusted burns that clean ,so it won't cause any carbon shoot build up .

Furthermore ,I think that there are
few synthetics that actually do not get combusted,since they do not burn at all .They will evaporate at some point ,but will never ignite.

I'm not so sure if I have understood correctly ,but it is not
necessary to have a phase change to achieve cooling .
Oil can cool the engine metal surfaces also.
It has lower thermal conductivity than gasoline ( = slower to absorb heat ) ,but has lot more
thermal capacitance ( = can "store" much more heat ) than gasoline does.
Oil absorbs heat also and it's temperature rises of course ,without necessarily changing phase.This temperature increase
affects it's viscosity and actually makes oil molecules to move "faster" into forming a thin lubricating layer on moving metal surfaces.
Yes the oil does combust and it's designed to do that cleanly for good oils and under ideal states of tune and load.
And yes oil does absord heat in order to vaporize it so it can be combusted. But this happens in the combustion chamber and does little to draw heat heat from the internal parts. If the oil does vaporize on something like the piston skirt outside the combustion chamber without the presence of flame it tends to form varnish.
Yes there are some synthetics that partially combust or don't combust at all and some mineral oil and vegetable oil bases that do the same thing. This isn't a good thing as they tend to clog the exhaust port, oil foul mufflers and leach heat out of the combustion chamber.

Latest posts

Back