What happened to McCoullgh?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The demise of American products isn't limited to chain saws. How many people here remember growing up in the Sixties and doing a tune up on your car with 14 cent spark plugs and points and a condencer were a buck and a quarter? My Dad grew up in the Depression and taught me how to fix everything. A new appliance cord at the hardware, testing TV and radio tubes at the drug store, rebuilding the John Derre with a hundred bucks worth of pistons, sleeves, and bearings. I used to pull my backhoe in the Seventies with a 69 Chevy 1 ton dump truck with 4.56 gears and a 292 six cylinder engine that got 17 miles to the gallon. My 04 Silverado one ton dump with the six litre and 4.10 gears gets 7.

Sorry for getting wound up, the older I get, the more I sound like my ancestors. Maybe we really are better off now and I just don't understand the big picture...... :monkey:

John

I believe the real trouble for McCulloch came after Robert Paxton McCulloch passed away and the kids took over the business.

It seems to me that the innovation, creativity, and drive just went out of it, and it became a dull business for those left holding the reins so they decided to cash it in.

In general, most "family businesses" do not last to the third generation.

Mark

There is a saying with family farms and buisnesses. The first generation get's it going, the second makes it grow and the third runs it into the ground.

The demise of American products isn't limited to chain saws. How many people here remember growing up in the Sixties and doing a tune up on your car with 14 cent spark plugs and points and a condencer were a buck and a quarter? My Dad grew up in the Depression and taught me how to fix everything. A new appliance cord at the hardware, testing TV and radio tubes at the drug store, rebuilding the John Derre with a hundred bucks worth of pistons, sleeves, and bearings. I used to pull my backhoe in the Seventies with a 69 Chevy 1 ton dump truck with 4.56 gears and a 292 six cylinder engine that got 17 miles to the gallon. My 04 Silverado one ton dump with the six litre and 4.10 gears gets 7.

Sorry for getting wound up, the older I get, the more I sound like my ancestors. Maybe we really are better off now and I just don't understand the big picture...... :monkey:

John

No, you got it right....

Not sure if this is rumor or fact, but I heard that when McC was sold to B&D that they had written in the contract to not change the design for 5 years. When the 5 years was up they were too far behind to catch up.

Interesting rumor, but like I said above, I don't know if it is true.

I would love to see a quality built modern American saw. I'd probably get rid if my Stihls. Kind of feels funny saying that though.

LOL, Grammer Nazi corrects the spelling thinking he is smarter and then spells a simplier brand name wrong, thats a classic there.:greenchainsaw:

See reason for editing post #3.

I'm still an idiot.

Been called allot of things, most ain't repeatable here, never been called a Grammar Nazi, cause I flunked eight grade engrish.

:hmm3grin2orange:

:givebeer:

See reason for editing post #3.

I'm still an idiot.

Been called allot of things, most ain't repeatable here, never been called a Grammar Nazi, cause I flunked eight grade engrish.

:givebeer:

Grammer Nazi is a general term here used for anyone that corrects another poor saps mis-spells. I hated english class,it was the toughest class I had in College. When kids ask me about problems with there english class homework, I tell them go see Mom, come back when it's math:greenchainsaw:

LMAO... :laugh:

Grammar?

HAHAHAHA!

Kind of like when someone is selling a Camaro... spell it Camero... it says it on the side of the car for cryin' out loud and they still mispell it... :laugh:

I see a lot of people spell stuff the way it sounds... funny as hell...

...to me anyways... I'm just sayin'...

Gary

Grammar?

HAHAHAHA!

Kind of like when someone is selling a Camaro... spell it Camero... it says it on the side of the car for cryin' out loud and they still mispell it... :laugh:

Gary

At least one person got it, thanks Gary.

Grammar, Engrish, not my best subjects.

Grammar?

HAHAHAHA!

Gary

You keep laughing at thosen us with poor grammer and I'm going to be afraid to post anymore. :ices_rofl:

My dad was an engineer for both Pioneer in Canada and McCulloch here, working in Culver City California.
In 1976 he had been working for McCulloch for 13 years, he had survived 2 previous rounds of layoffs but in June he finally got laided off in the last round, I assume due to lack of seniority.
He kept the SP81 he had at home for "research", (now my SP81!) and mentioned to me many times that Homelite was the cause for McCullochs decline. Why I don't know, but I assume that they were under selling Mac with cheap saws. I think shortly after that is when Mac went into the crapper quality wise.
BTW I dont give a F*** if someones grammar aint purfect, ass long as it isnt some kid whoo perpussly misples stuf cuz its cool or sum #### lik that.

Last edited:
Founded by Robert Paxton McCulloch in Milwaukee Wisconsin in 1943. Originally manufactured superchargers and two-cycle drone aircraft engines for military use during WWII. Moved to Los Angeles, Calfiornia January 2, 1946. Located at 6101 West Century Boulevard, across from what was then known as Mines field, later to become Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) When McCulloch purchased the 15 acre property to build his Chain Saw factory it had been a bean field.

LIST OF SOME OF McCULLOCH "FIRSTS"

1948 FIRST DIE CAST MAGNESIUM CHAIN SAW.
1948 FIRST 50 POUND CHAIN SAW.
1948 FIRST CHAIN SAW WITH A WATER PROOF, AIR COOLED COIL.
1948 FIRST CHAIN SAW WITH A SHORT STROKE, HIGH PERFORMANCE ENGINE.

1949 FIRST 25 POUND CHAIN SAW
1949 FIRST CHAIN SAW WITH AN ALL POSITION CARBURETOR AND FUEL PUMP
1949 FIRST CHAIN SAW WITH A WICK FILTER TYPE FUEL PICKUP.
1949 FIRST CHAIN SAW WITH A RIGHT HAND STARTER

1951 FIRST BALANCED ENGINE CHAIN SAW TO REDUCE VIBRATION

1953 FIRST LIGHT WEIGHT GEAR DRIVE SAW UNDER 21 LBS.

1955 FIRST CHAIN SAW TO HAVE BEARINGS IN THE PISTON TO INCREASE SERVICE LIFE.

1956 FIRST CHAIN SAW WITH A CARBURETOR ENCLOSED IN FILTERED AIR.

1961 FIRST LIGHT WEIGHT GASOLINE DRIVEN AC-DC WELDER

1962 FIRST BALANCED PISTON ENGINE CHAIN SAW
1962 FIRST CHAIN SAW TO SELF SHARPEN CHAIN
1962 FIRST CHAIN SAW MANUFACTURER IN THE WORLD TO MAKE OVER ONE MILLION SAWS.

1963 FIRST U.S. CHAIN SAW MANUFACTURER TO OPEN A PLANT IN EUROPE.
1963 FIRST CHAIN SAW WITH AN IDLE SPEED GOVERNOR.
1963 FIRST CHAIN SAW WITH A SPARK ARRESTOR SCREEN

1965 FIRST 10 POUND CHAIN SAW

1966 FIRST CHAIN SAW WITH AN ELECTRIC STARTER
1966 FIRST CHAIN SAW WITH DSP. (DECOMPRESSION VALVE STARTING)
1966 FIRST CHAIN SAW WITH A REED-TYPE SOUND SILENCING MUFFLER

1967 FIRST CHAIN SAW MANUFACTURER IN THE WORLD TO MAKE OVER TWO MILLION SAWS.

1968 FIRST 6 POUND CHAIN SAW

1970 FIRST 6 POUND CLASS CHAIN SAW DESIGNED AND BUILT EXCLUSIVELY FOR THE OCCASIONAL USER.

November 1965 from CHAIN SAW AGE Magazine.
McCulloch and OMARK Settle Out-of-Court
An out-of-court settlement in all pending litigation between Omark Industries Inc. and the McCulloch Corporation has been announced.
In announcing the settlement, John D. Gray, Omark president and President Robert P. McCulloch said that part of the settlement provided for a long term arrangement under which it is expected that McCulloch will make substantial purchases of saw chain from Omark.
Also, Omark has granted McCulloch a license under certain of its patents whereby McCulloch can continue to manufacture its present line of chain.
The first substantial delivery of Omark chain to McCulloch is expected to be made in July, 1966.
At present, Omark and McCulloch officials are working together, analyzing the amounts of equipment involved so Omark can start supplying McCulloch with chain.
In a decision handed down last April, Judge Pierson M. Hall of the U.S. district court in Los Angeles upheld Omark's position and found its patent on "Chipper" saw chain valid and infringed by McCulloch.
The out-of-court settlement accepted Judge Hall's decision as final.
Although the specific quantities involved were not disclosed, Gray estimated that the McCulloch purchases would possibly represent an increase of 10 per cent in Omark's annual saw chain sales volume.
"The essence of this settlement," Gray said, "is that Omark has acquired a new customer which ranks as one of the largest chain saw manufacturers in the world."
He and McCulloch both stated that they expect this to be a long and beneficial relationship for both parties.
As part of the settlement, McCulloch agreed to take a consent decree upholding Omark's patent in Canada.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE McCULLOCH CORPORATION

McCulloch was founded in 1943 by Robert McCulloch in Milwaukee, WI. under the original name of McCulloch Motors Corporation. The company specialized in small 2 cycle engines.

In 1946, Bob McCulloch moved the company to Los Angeles, where the first McCulloch chain saw, the 5-49, was produced in 1948.The 5-49 was an innovative chain saw and offered a winning combination of lighter weight and more horsepower than any completive 2 man saw on the market.

It was followed by the debut of the first one man saw, a truly remarkable product that revolutionized the entire chain saw industry. The introduction of a chain saw, that could be handled by a single person, opened the door to previously untapped markets and the creation of a consumer outlet for what had been a professionals only product.

During the next several decades, the company continued to grow and expand into new markets.

In 1958, the company name was changed to the McCulloch Corporation.

In 1968, McCulloch introduced the power Mac 6, weighing only 6.5 pounds fully fueled. It was the world lightest chain saw. The affordable Mini Mac 1, introduced in 1972, opened the chain saw market to the casual user.

In 1963, Bob McCulloch purchased a 26 square mile parcel of barren desert ,that would soon become Lake Havasu City, AZ.

In 1964 Bob McCulloch opened a chainsaw manufacturing plant in Lake Havusa City. Within 2 years there where 3 McCulloch plants there. It was his purchase of the London Bridge ,in 1968, that gave worldwide exposure to Lake Havusa City. The bridge officially opened in 1971.Electric chain saws where introduced in 1972, while gas powered string trimmers, hedge trimmers and blowers were added to McCulloch's product line up in the 1980's.

McCulloch moved to Tucson,AZ. in 1988 where it opened corporate headquarters and a distribution facility. Many new product innovations followed, including electric string trimmers equipped with REX, Rapid Exchange System. Introduced in 1998,these revolutionary trimmers are equipped with the world's only disposable string head.

In October 1999, McCulloch's North American operation was purchased by Jenn Feng Industrial Co., Ltd. a Taiwan based manufacturer.
A new headquarters/distribution facility, located in Tucson, was acquired and the company moved in November 1999.Jeng Feng Industrial., Ltd , founded in 1975, started doing business as an auto lighting manufacturer in the mid 1980's.Jenn Feng builds OEM for major manufacturers pf premium branded power tools all over the world.

In Januarry,2000, Jenn Feng acquired a gas engine manufacturing company, providing McCulloch with the opportunity to build gasoline powered equipment with the same quality McCulloch customers have come to know and trust.

Hello Mcbob

Here is the history of McCulloch as we know it, we've presented it in a dateline form so that we can edit it as needed, as we go along, (as time allows) a continuing work in progress.

1931 - Robert Paxton McCulloch forms the McCulloch Engineering Company in Milwaukee, Wisconsin to manufacture racing engines and superchargers.

1942 - McCulloch Engineering Company has grown to be the world's second largest manfacturer of superchargers, only General Motors Corp. produced more.

1943 - McCulloch Engineering is sold to Borg-Warner Corp.

1943 - McCulloch forms the McCulloch Aviation Company to produce two cycle engines for the milatary. At this time McCulloch began making improvements to die-casting techniques typically used for aluminum and magnesium.

1946 - McCulloch Aviation Company moves from Milwaukee to Los Angeles and incorparates under the new name of McCulloch Motors Corp.

1946 - Some McCulloch Motors were used on Reed-Prentice and Sears Craftman chainsaws. Also known to have been used on RPM and Sears Craftman brand lawnmowers.

1948 - McCulloch Motors entered the chain saw market and produced the world's first die cast magnesium chain saw. Thier first saw the model:1225 (not the 5-49) was also the first two-man chainsaw weighing less then 50 pounds.

1949 - McCulloch produces the model:3-25 (3hp-25lbs) their first one-man chainsaw, it is the lightest weight of any in the world.

1958 - The McCulloch Motors Cororation changes it's name to McCulloch Corporation.

1962 - McCulloch is the first chainsaw manufacturer to produce over one million chain saws.

1963 - McCulloch opens it's a European plant in Mechelen, Belgium

1965 - McCulloch opens the first of four new plants to be built at Lake Havasu City, Arizona.

1966 - McCulloch Corp. produces the world's first electric starting chainsaw (Model:3-10E).

1967 - McCulloch becomes the first company to manufacture two million chain saws.

1968 - Robert McCulloch buys the London Bridge' it's to be the center piece for the Lake Havasu City developement.

1970 - McCulloch conducts major expansion of it's plant at Los Angeles, California.

1971 - McCulloch Corporation celebrates 25 years as a chan saw industry leader.

1971 - McCulloch begins production of snowmobile engines.

1971 - McCulloch becomes the first chainsaw manufacturer to produce three million saws.

1973 - Robert P. McCulloch sells McCulloch Corporation to Black & Decker for 65 million dollars.

1974 - McCulloch produces it's four millionth chainsaw.

1975 - McCulloch becomes the first chainsaw manufacturer to use a chain brake on every model.

1977 - Robert Paxton McCulloch dies at the age of 65

Tom Hawkins,

McCulloch Motors Corporation is a manufacturer of chainsaws. The company was founded in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in 1943 by Robert Paxton McCulloch as a manufacturer of small two-stroke gasoline engines and introduced its first chainsaw in 1948, the Model 5-49.[1]

McCulloch moved its operation to California in 1946. In the 1950s, McCulloch manufactured aircraft engines, which were sold to RadioPlane in the 1970s.

Bob McCulloch also started Paxton Automotive, manufacturing McCulloch-labeled superchargers like the one fitted to the Kaiser Manhattan and Ford Thunderbird.

In 1959, they produced their first kart engine, the McCulloch MC-10[2], an adapted chainsaw two-stroke engine.[3]

In the 1960s McCulloch licensed outboard motors to Scotts, which was purchased by the West Bend Company shortly thereafter. In 1964, Robert P. McCulloch founded Lake Havasu City, Arizona, with a factory and housing for its workers.

In the 1970s their range was expanded to add hedge trimmers, string trimmers, and leaf blowers, but started a narrow focus on lawn and garden equipment.

In January 1999, the company filed for Chapter 11 and sold its European division to Husqvarna AB. In October 1999, its North American operation was acquired by the Taiwanese company Jenn Feng Industrial Co., Ltd. Jenn Feng added electric power tools and pressure washers to the product line.[4]

In March 2008, Husqvarna acquired Jenn Feng outdoor products division, gaining access to the McCulloch brand in the North American market.[5] McCulloch is since a brand within the Husqvarna Group.

Robert Paxton McCulloch was born May 11, 1911, in Missouri. His grandfather, John I. Beggs, made his fortune by implementing Thomas Edison’s electrical powerplants in cities around the world, manufacturing and selling electric trolley cars, and founding Milwaukee’s public utility system. McCulloch, along with his two siblings, inherited his grandfather’s fortune in 1925.[1]

Two years after he graduated from Stanford University, he married Barbra Ann Briggs, whose father was Stephen Foster Briggs of Briggs and Stratton. His first manufacturing endeavor was McCulloch Engineering Company, located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. There he built racing engines and superchargers. In his early 30s, he sold the company to Borg-Warner Corporation for US$1 million.[2]

McCulloch then started McCulloch Aviation; and, in 1946, he changed his company’s name to McCulloch Motors Corporation. Building small gasoline engines, his competitors included his in-laws and Ralph Evinrude. Evinrude led the market for boat motors, while Briggs and Stratton pulled ahead in the lawn mower and garden tractor market.

[edit] Chainsaws
It was the chainsaw niche that McCulloch dominated, beginning with the first chainsaw with his name on it, manufactured in 1948. McCulloch's chainsaw was used to cut frozen lake ice into large cubes as well as trees into lumber. By the next year, McCulloch’s 3-25 further revolutionized the market, with the one man, light weight chainsaw.[2]

In the 1950s, McCulloch started McCulloch Oil Corporation, which pursued oil and gas exploration, land development and geothermal energy.

In spite of Evinrude’s market lead, McCulloch continued to pursue McCulloch Motors’ quest for the outboard market during the next decade. This led him to Lake Havasu in search of a test site. McCulloch purchased 3,500 acres (14 km2) of lakeside property along Pittsburgh Point. In 1963, on the courthouse steps of Kingman, Arizona, McCulloch purchased a 26 square miles (67 km2) parcel of barren desert, that would become the site for Lake Havasu City. At the time it was the largest single tract of state land ever sold in Arizona[2], and the cost per acre was under US$75.

To spur the growth of the infant city, in 1964 McCulloch opened a chainsaw manufacturing plant in the new community. Within two years there were three manufacturing plants, with some 400 employees.[2]

[edit] Purchase of London Bridge
Main article: London Bridge (Lake Havasu City)
In 1968, McCulloch was searching for a unique attraction for his city, which eventually took him to London. By the early 1960s it was apparent that John Rennie's 1831 London Bridge was gradually sinking into the River Thames and the City of London Corporation decided that a new bridge would need to be built. Rather than demolish the existing bridge, they decided to put the historic landmark on the auction block.

When casting his bid for the bridge, McCulloch doubled the estimated cost of dismantling the structure, which was US$1.2 million, bringing the price to US$2.4 million. He then added on US$60,000, a thousand dollars for each year of his age at the time he estimated the bridge would be raised in Arizona[2]. His gesture earned him the winning bid, although there was very little competition.[3]

Numbered stones can still be seen at London Bridge in Lake Havasu City, Arizona
It took three years to complete the project. The structure was dismantled block by block, with each section marked and numbered, in much the same way the bridge was originally built. The granite pieces were stacked at the Surrey Commercial Docks, and then were shipped through the Panama Canal, to Long Beach, California. From Long Beach, the granite blocks were trucked inland 300 miles (500 km). The bridge was reassembled by matching the numbered stones and filling in the area under the bridge with mounds of desert sand to support each arch as it was reconstructed.

The reconstructed attraction was officially opened on October 10, 1971, with a gala celebration. Opening day included an elaborate fanfare: fireworks, a parade, entertainment, and celebrities, such as Bonanza's Lorne Greene, and dignitaries such as the Lord Mayor of London.[2]

With the purchase of the bridge, McCulloch accelerated his development campaign, increasing the number of flights into the city. At the time, the airport was located on the island. The free flights to Lake Havasu lasted until 1978, and reportedly they totalled 2,702 flights, bringing in 37,000 prospective buyers.[2]

A popular urban legend is that McCulloch mistakenly believed that he was buying the more impressive Tower Bridge. London bridge had been heavily marketed by the London Council in an effort to sell it worldwide. Ivan Luckin, the council member who sold the bridge has always stated that London sold the bridge honestly.[3]

McCoullogh developed it bad name in the late 1980, after years for being bought out and price pointed by various owners. Hence why the current generation has a bad taste in there mouth upon hearing the name. Kudos to Stihl for staying away from the box stores, but HELLO HUSQVARNA CAN YOU F:N HEAR THIS...........your are destroying the brand in your effort to grab more of the market. My brand has for a few years had it name associted with low cost box store buy.............with no support or service network (save for there real dealers.......gee thanks Husky). Price point for market share?? makes no sense under the Electrolux unbrella (yeah Husqvarna AB is "seperate now........bs" whom to we have for ope, husqvarna, jonsered, partner,poulin,mccoulloch,redmax, I am sure I could add a few more to the list. Too bad McCoulloch succumbed to the powers that be, if we keep down this road i fiugre we are all screwed.

All who have contributed THANKS VERY MUCH. Especially MR Bowsaw Man. That was exactly what I was looking for and I appreciate it very much. I think it's like others have stated, the founder if he had lived never would have let this happen to the company. When I was a kid our small town had a guy who did all the tree work. His name was McNamra, and all I ever heard him called was Mac. He had McCulloch saws, and they were the big ones. I'd be willing to bet large money that at least one was an SP125, but I'll probably never know. JR

Back