what knot to make eyes in ends of prusik cordage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a super simple knot, that's for sure. The main reason i like it though is because it is so simple to tie. In a emergency i know i can tie it quickly, with out fault and know that it's going to hold. Might be a dumb reason but i like to keep things as simple as possible.

Doesn't use much rope either or make a lot of bulk. An 8 on a bight is bulletproof but it's a beast of a knot.

That and it's a PITA to untie when loaded real heavy. Untie's ok when used for personal support, but a :censored: when used for pulling or heavy rigging.

If you are going to use a figure 8 on a bight and think it may get hard load, don't dress it neat. The cross-overs that usually get worked out when dressing make the knot easier to untie. Grab both ends of the knot firmly and twist whilst pushing in toward the centre. It will loosen off with a little work.

Still prefer a tfl for terminations tho.... I now tie all my rigging karabiners with that knot and we measure the "creep" before and after use. To date, none have moved after 3 months of work and if you want them off a krab you just push. For my money, providing you are attaching to a karabiner, the dfl or tfl is the best all round hitch which "grabs".

I prefer to use a bowling on a bight when i need a mid-line attachment that's going to be loaded real heavy, say pulling a truck or something. But i was using the "8" up until the middle of this year.

I've used the DFL before and never had any probs. with creeping and such, and don't mind using it on carabiners, but on solid eye rope snaps it's harder to untie for me anyways. I know it's a stupid reason, i just like to stick with one or two knots and keep things simple, maybe i'll switch over again, who knows.

Old thread, I know, but I didn't want to start a new one on the same question.

Was watching a youtube on how to tie the Distel friction hitch at

and noticed the ends on his Prusik cord, where he attached his carabiner:

Screen_Shot_2018_07_10_at_8_46_21_AM.jpg

Screen_Shot_2018_07_10_at_8_26_23_AM.jpg

I guess they're just double fishermen's knots? (Sorry for the basic quesion, just a noobie here.) Thanks in advance.

Back