What Stihl saw was/is better than it's successor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerbHammer

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been watching a few of Redbull661's excellent videos and also reading the recent comparisons between the ms462 and ms461.

Most videos show that the 461 outcuts the 462, even though there is some weight reduction to the 462. I think most folks will remember the 461 fondly, and not see the 462 as a big improvement.

On the flip side, this video by redbull661 shows that the 661 seems to be superior hands down to the 660 in every way.

What are the Stihl saws currently available that are clearly superior than their predecessors, and which ones aren't?

The 660 is probably thought of more highly than the 661 by lots of loggers. The 661 is a lot more user friendly, but the 660 holds up to abuse very well and doesn't have a reputation for being finicky like the 661.

Other examples might be the 036, 262xp and 346xp. I bet some would say the 372oe is better than the 372x-torq or the 576 also.

MS461>MS460/046 is what immediately comes to mind for me. Just a few minor changes that made that machine a lot better, IMO. It still blows my mind how much smoother they run and the fuel savings. Especially if you add an 046 coil and de-limit the carb.

Why is there such a cult following of the 200t? It would seem from the prices of leftover 200ts that people hate the 201t?

1. 201t is choked up and held back in stock form.
2. Tree guys hate change
3. Parts are cheaper

But if you run both modded every day, the 201t pulls ahead in performance.

Also, the first 201s were particularly doggy. Stihl actually released a kit to advance the timing and maybe address something else to make them run better.

Back