What's Hittin' the Grill or Smoker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"a TexMex theme: For my ex, I would add minced habanero, which for her was still not hot enough."

omg! I grew some couple seasons ago... had to try them ! 1/8th x 1/8th... piece, then on tongue, squished tween teeth.... YEOW! wished I had not! :eek: :eek: omg -

can send you few ghost peppers or maybe some Carolina Reapers if you want to further along her palate...

View attachment 481421

View attachment 481422

I cannot even touch habaneros and not burn something. I have to use gloves. I see the habaneros at the stores open on the shelves here just sitting there, daring someone to touch them. No warning, no gloves. No nothing. Pick them up, and then touch your lips, nose or scratch your eye, and DIE screaming in pain!

More my speed are Ortega or Anaheim chilies. Even with those I scrape out the seeds. I might add a tiny piece of minced Serrano for heat. My ex says I am a wimp when it comes to hot food. I have IBS though, and I cannot tolerate much heat. Never mind the searing painful *SECOND BURN* on the porcelain throne. As for ghost/Naga Jolokia peppers, they are 10 times as hot as habaneros. Maybe my ex would be sated by them? I had a Korean friend in college (in San Diego) that would go with me to Mexico. We would go to a restaurant in Ensenada and order up some tacos. Mine were chicken with guacamole and mild pico de gallo. Very tasty. He would ask me to ask them for some hot sauce, and he wanted it as hot as possible. I would ask for some, and say that he wanted the hottest stuff that they had. Muy picante, por favor! They handed me a tiny dish of green sauce, and he simply dumped the whole thing on one taco and wolfed it down. The owner was looking on and was intrigued, so she brought us a small bowl of some hotter "muy muy picante" red sauce with lots of seeds and orange things floating around in it. She simply said, 'mas picante' and smiled. My friend dumped that on his tacos liberally. Meanwhile the restaurant staff all came out to look at us. He ate them and gave the owner the thumbs up, while he was tearing up. That was what he was looking for! He says that his taste buds are completely burned out from eating hot Korean food all his life. I would be in the hospital if I ate that much of that stuff. I asked the owner what was in the super hot sauce, and she said it was mostly flea peppers (chitlepin) and habaneros, as well as some other regional hot chilis. Way up there on the Scoville scale. A place I dare not venture.

And... if that is not enough, here is Chuck again with a friend each eating a Carolina Reaper pepper:

Or rather, they try to eat a pepper. One cannot keep it down, and the other cannot finish eating it. Too many scovilles, the pain response is too intense. Twice the heat of a ghost pepper (supposedly). Milk is useless.

Took a little left over brisket and made an open face out of it...

uploadfromtaptalk1454021604676.jpg

Slow grilled two racks of baby backs and seven boneless/skinless chicken breasts yesterday using the rotisserie...ribs were fall off the bone and the breasts you could cut with a spoon. The 4 racks and the X braces attach to the rotisserie rod and in ferris wheel/pendulum fashion, rotate, with the coal holders left and right and a water pan sitting in the center. Keep everything pumped down with a spray bottle of water/apple juice/distilled vinegar or apple cider vinegar. Sides were sliced tomatoes, big pot of cut up squash with Vidalia onions, and a rice/mushroom casserole. Makes for some good eats and happening slow grillin'...
182cd10b67acf0810430a2a5357f6efe.jpg

86cd8bad2d71279f7f42000bf5c18bb8.jpg

ba6b4cb60bb146b0142bbfa68417ea78.jpg

dec913c8dabdc0dd405a38c9e9d9797c.jpg

6f18e60658308401d3b06e878bb8bd2a.jpg

That is absolutely KRAZY! I love spicy food, but not to the point its going to make this happen. :surprised3:
Hot peppers can be a lot of fun and add a lot of flavor but you need to know your limits and the limits of your guests. Start with mild stuff and work your way up the scoville scale. Great recipe for some easy hots and very easy to make ahead for a football game or something.

Jerk Shrimp with Mango (Taste of home)
2lbs of cooked deveined shrimp
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
3 T lime juice
1 jalapeno pepper deveined/seeded/chopped fine
4 t honey
3 t Caribbean jerk seasoning (mccormic or make your own)
1 mango (sliced)
1 small red onion (sliced and diced)
1 lime (sliced into wedges)

Mix oil, vinegar, lime juice, pepper, honey and jerk seasoning. Use about ¾ cup of mix to marinade shrimp (at least 2 hours in a sealed bag) reserving the remainder. Discard marinade used to soak shrimp. Layer shrimp, onion, mango and lime on a serving platter. Pour remaining marinade over the top. Serve.

You can use the above marinade on other meats. You can swap out the pepper with a hotter variety or leave the seeds/membranes in the jalapeno for more heat.

Slow grilled two racks of baby backs and seven boneless/skinless chicken breasts yesterday using the rotisserie...ribs were fall off the bone and the breasts you could cut with a spoon. The 4 racks and the X braces attach to the rotisserie rod and in ferris wheel/pendulum fashion, rotate, with the coal holders left and right and a water pan sitting in the center. Keep everything pumped down with a spray bottle of water/apple juice/distilled vinegar or apple cider vinegar. Sides were sliced tomatoes, big pot of cut up squash with Vidalia onions, and a rice/mushroom casserole. Makes for some good eats and happening slow grillin'...
182cd10b67acf0810430a2a5357f6efe.jpg

86cd8bad2d71279f7f42000bf5c18bb8.jpg

ba6b4cb60bb146b0142bbfa68417ea78.jpg

dec913c8dabdc0dd405a38c9e9d9797c.jpg

6f18e60658308401d3b06e878bb8bd2a.jpg
That looks like a great system!

That looks like a great system!
The four stainless rib trays and the two stainless 'x' members runs about $100. It makes some fine slow grilled eats. One of the best slow grillings is put four long filets of skin on one side Mahi-Mahi in the trays and grill it low and slow, basting it down with a little olive oil, fresh lemon juice, etc. Talk about some fine fish...

Salmon grills up excellent with this setup too.

Tonight, bacon-wrapped shrimp and scallops on the grill and about 3 lbs of crawdads with about a pound of large shrimp thrown in the boil mix. Side is simply Bud Light. Good eats...
55aa42a1accb7bde9ab9726732c7ca78.jpg

Got six leg qtrs on the grill just slow grillin'. Gettin' the boat ready, rods ready/changing line on a few...with hal-flies, triple ripples, jigs. We're on the crappie prowl early thirty tomorrow morning. Hit 72 here today, gonna be a little warmer tomorrow, and the moon is saying hit it. See if I can't put up a couple pics of some slab crappie tomorrow. If the crappie don't cooperate, we'll swing thru the Captain D's drive-thru with boat in tow (wouldn't that be a helluva pic at the drive-thru window), buy a 10-piece family meal with slaw, hush puppies, and fries...get it back to the house, snap a pic...and lie like a damn rug. Lol
73cefc1120b3707344ea560416b72cdd.jpg

Got six leg qtrs on the grill just slow grillin'. Gettin' the boat ready, rods ready/changing line on a few...with hal-flies, triple ripples, jigs. We're on the crappie prowl early thirty tomorrow morning. Hit 72 here today, gonna be a little warmer tomorrow, and the moon is saying hit it. See if I can't put up a couple pics of some slab crappie tomorrow. If the crappie don't cooperate, we'll swing thru the Captain D's drive-thru with boat in tow (wouldn't that be a helluva pic at the drive-thru window), buy a 10-piece family meal with slaw, hush puppies, and fries...get it back to the house, snap a pic...and lie like a damn rug. Lol
73cefc1120b3707344ea560416b72cdd.jpg
Yard bird is lookin good.
Good luck with the Crappie. Crappie and Walleye are about as good as it gets.

Yard bird is lookin good.
Good luck with the Crappie. Crappie and Walleye are about as good as it gets.
I've had walleye a few times over the years...absolute fine fish. Of course white and black crappie are a dime a dozen here. Good eats my man. Luv it.

Thanks for all the mouth watering pics, here's a small Aus. contribution.

Have excess sheep numbers so grabbed a KRANSKY premix and mixed with one boned out (lean bone out) Dorper ewe, filled 32mm collagen casings
and smoked same over some Euc. saw dust from a local timber mill.........very bloody nice ? :)

(Also vacuum pack some and cook them in a pan like a fresh sausage)

At 62C (140F) in the pic and aiming for 75C (165F) internal temp.

Thanks for all the mouth watering pics, here's a small Aus. contribution.

Have excess sheep numbers so grabbed a KRANSKY premix and mixed with one boned out (lean bone out) Dorper ewe, filled 32mm collagen casings
and smoked same over some Euc. saw dust from a local timber mill.........very bloody nice ? :)

(Also vacuum pack some and cook them in a pan like a fresh sausage)

At 62C (140F) in the pic and aiming for 75C (165F) internal temp.

Those look tasty!

Back