Where are Stihl and Husky saws made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suo Gan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
On the other thread about Husky saws being sold by the big box stores, I made the comment that my 346xp was made in China. This has resulted in me wanting to buy Stihl now instead of Husky. Some have made the comment that..."whatever, if it works it works, who cares if its made in China. Stihl is probably made in China too." So in a desire not to take over the other thread, I am hoping I can get some answers here based on fact, not opinion.

So whats the deal, have Stihl saws been outsourced to China now too?

On the other thread about Husky saws being sold by the big box stores, I made the comment that my 346xp was made in China. This has resulted in me wanting to buy Stihl now instead of Husky. Some have made the comment that..."whatever, if it works it works, who cares if its made in China. Stihl is probably made in China too." So in a desire not to take over the other thread, I am hoping I can get some answers here based on fact, not opinion.

So whats the deal, have Stihl saws been outsourced to China now too?
I believe the carb manufcture zama is doing the china outsourcing they supply carbs to both Husky and Stihl.

Its funny how they don't let you know these things up front. They make it seem as though you are going to be taking a virgin fräulein home, come to find out she is an asian hooker...

Is this true?

Stihls are made in Germany, USA,Brazil (you can log onto their site, just do a google search & it will jump up in front of you). There are some chinese clones but not from a Stihl dealer. Similar situation with Husky I think.

box stores... :mad: Thanks to them a good brand of chainsaws and other outdoor equipment is no better than a walmart wildthing.

Don't get me wrong husky still makes a quality saw, but the box store shut the small servicing dealer down. And unless your a small engine mechanic with a wharehouse full of parts in your backyard, your going to need service at some point.

Thats why I say home depot and other stores tuned a husky in to a overpriced homelite.

In regards to where the Husky saws are built, ALL xp saws are made in Sweden. There may be a component that is made in another country, but they are all made in Sweden. I highly doubt a 346 was made in China. When it comes to the smaller saws some of them are made in the USA (Charlotte, NC). I am certain that saw from the 353 and above are made in Sweden though.

As far as the big box stores go, the can NOT get the XP saws. Husqvarna has actually started to decrease the availability of getting a decent saw at the big box stores. They have phased out the 455 Rancher in order to tune it down and then sell it under a different designation.

Hope this helps.

-Kevin

NYHushyguy, What do you mean "They have phased out the 455 Rancher in order to tune it down"..tune it down? Derate it or?? Thanks
RB

NYHushyguy, What do you mean "They have phased out the 455 Rancher in order to tune it down"..tune it down? Derate it or?? Thanks
RB

What I mean by that is the 460 Rancher is going to be the only Rancher available at dealers. I can still get 455s but have really no need to do so. What Husky is doing is trying to limit the "good" saws to dealers only. The 455 is going to be tuned down and cheapened up to be sold as a 255 to the big box stores. This is to allow the big box stores to still sell Husky's, but they will not have access the the better saws. As far as I have heard the homeowner lineup will be the extent of what they will get. You probably wont see this materialize until probably Feb or Mar of '09 though.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Kevin

my 346xp was made in China.

Suo Gan, Is made in china anywhere else but on your diaphram cover like on the engine plate? Because if it is you got a knock off man I hate to break it to you like that.

Honda small engines are being copied in china now and they look exactly like real Hondas except they are painted blue in most instances but everything attached to them falls off in a few months or rusts thru. fyi

Kansas

Thanks NYHuskyguy. Just a home owner/electrcian here trying to learn. Been cutting for 28 years on my own place for my wood burner. Have a Husky 268xp.

Thanks NYHuskyguy. Just a home owner/electrcian here trying to learn. Been cutting for 28 years on my own place for my wood burner. Have a Husky 268xp.

It is my pleasure to help out. If you have any questions or if you need manuals, I am a dealer and I can help. Or, at least I can try! :)

-Kevin

Good info guys!

There was a thread here recently where fleabay had knock off Husky saws a 395 if I remember for a few hundred bucks lmao it was really 50cc or something just wanted to stir it up a little... :)

Kansas

I work at Lowe's and two years ago you could get the xp saws through special order, now we only have four saws available. The small 200 series saws are the same as the Poulan Pro's the 435 and 445 are still made in Sweden. We still carry the 455 rancher, it seems the same. The 435 and 445 only have one nut on the bar and the little one has that tool-less chain tightener. Cheap feeling would not buy one.

I have purchased a couple of saws that people purchased and used once or twice and returned. Some did not know that they had to tighten the chain. They would return it saying the chain keeps coming off or the chain will not turn.

I bought a 350 for $90 because they had the chain too tight and it seized up. They even gave me a new bar and chain for 50% off. We have about five Husky saws now.

Even though I work at a big box I see how they ruin good products. Troy-built, Cub Cadet, Husky, John Deere, Maytag the list goes on and on.

The price goes down but so does the quality when they start mass producing them.

A homeowner with sense imo. Tell your other friends that
they wood be better served by buying a pro model like yours
if they expect to use it more than once! Even if I were not
a pro I would buy a pro saw for my wood because it would
last and last. Oh yeah tell them to run it dry or put stabil
in them if they plan to store them in the off season:cheers:

Suo Gan, Is made in china anywhere else but on your diaphram cover like on the engine plate? Because if it is you got a knock off man I hate to break it to you like that.

Honda small engines are being copied in china now and they look exactly like real Hondas except they are painted blue in most instances but everything attached to them falls off in a few months or rusts thru. fyi

Kansas

Break what to who? IT SAYS CHINA ON IT! So that means they outsourced it there, right? If not they would not put China on it because we all know the kind of Harbor Freighter type crap that is. I don't care if its just a screw made in China, it makes a difference to me, and should to everyone else. For nearly $500 clams I expected to see a Tillotson or something in there. Is this not a legitimate concern? I think so my friends, anyone who says different must be getting a slice of the action.

Break what to who? IT SAYS CHINA ON IT! So that means they outsourced it there, right? If not they would not put China on it because we all know the kind of Harbor Freighter type crap that is. I don't care if its just a screw made in China, it makes a difference to me, and should to everyone else. For nearly $500 clams I expected to see a Tillotson or something in there. Is this not a legitimate concern? I think so my friends, anyone who says different must be getting a slice of the action.

I think I get much action using my two 372xp's and my 395xp
and my 2101xp but not the action your laying down.

My father had an old all aluminum 268XP (or was it a 266?) back in England in the early eighties. Is this the same as yours? That was an awesome piece of kit. I used to sharpen it just so I could use it. Much more grunty than even the new XP range.

Can I point out that the Chinese are more than capable of engineering products to at least the same high standards as the best of the world's manufacturers ( I'm not taking about knock offs ). As long as the same manufacturing standards and quality controls are in place a product produced for Zama/Stihl/ Husqvarna/Whoever should be at least as good as one produced anywhere else. Remember it's the manufacturers who are trying to cut production costs and it is they who call the shots on Q/C and materials.
Given the scenario that Stihl or whoever have set up a plant in China using their own machining and production control it should be of no different quality than if produced anywhere else, that is if the product is to be sold on the world market and not simply for the home market where volume sales of a relatively expensive product would be limited.

OK Troll lighten up!

In this "global economy" what you expect and what is reality is vastly different. Chances are the damn computer you're ranting on has a ton of Chinese components in it. If you don't like the saw sell it . . . there are lots of guys on this site that would kill for a 346XP.

Al

Hey Sau Gan slow down man I am trying to be nice to you and so are the rest of us! Fact I thought I heard the villagers lighting the torchs when you ripped Husky as being chinese junk!

I think you better hang up now and find something else to do with your time because that computer you are using is chinese junk also and that mp3 and parts of that car you drive and the microwave and your cell phone get it?!

Get on with your life man does the saw work ok if it does then quit whinning about your china saw carb its a fact of life you bought the saw not us!

I am sorry it happened to anyone but we all can chose what we buy if we do our home work!

Kansas

Back