Who dries hickory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds about right to me, from my experience hickory dries very quickly....probably too quick...a few years ago I cut 6 slabs during the winter, the same thickness as you, end sealed, stickered and stored in a shed, took a look at them in the fall and 5 slabs were just about or totally split in half....keeping yours outdoors was probably a good thing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I had some I milled 12/4, let air dry for several years, covered on the side of my shed. Like Ted's, they were checked almost in half. Gave them to a friend and he ripped them in 3X3's and routered banisters for his house out of them. Turned out beautiful. They didn't warp at all, just the big cracks right down the middle.

My first go round with hickory. Milled it 15 months ago. 9/4 thick
Air drying in woods, with good air flow. Brought several pieces into basement 2 months ago. Moisture down to 8 pct on the inside pieces. Sounds to good to be true. What am I missing?
several years outside is key. good move. "seasoning" them is proper. I have seen similar results. however, the longer you can wait- in a consistent environment- the stability is better. i like it to go through a few seasons outdoors, then at least a season indoors- in my house, basement with full house dehumidification, and have no problem with further checks, twist or warp. I build refined furniture, muzzleloaders and instuments with the wood I mill.

several years outside is key. good move. "seasoning" them is proper. I have seen similar results. however, the longer you can wait- in a consistent environment- the stability is better. i like it to go through a few seasons outdoors, then at least a season indoors- in my house, basement with full house dehumidification, and have no problem with further checks, twist or warp. I build refined furniture, muzzleloaders and instuments with the wood I mill.
So you don't use a kiln (such as a dehumidification kiln) before using the lumber? Just the seasoning process you described?

So you don't use a kiln (such as a dehumidification kiln) before using the lumber? Just the seasoning process you described?
Yep. it is a very long process. You might get a few bugs crawl out, but I'm milling mostly freshly cut logs that don't sit on the ground very long. I believe that is key. Early fine furniture from the 1800s wasn't kiln dried wood. Kiln drying wood was an early 1900s thing and not all lumber was kiln dried. Seems to work fine for me. I think the seasoning cycles is very important for wood stability. I'm also using rubbing oils as finishes. This is also a factor. not hard surface finishes. I'm using traditional shellacs, tung oil, polymerized linseed oils that breathe.

Back