• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Why is there concrete in base of large tree?

wahoowad

wahoowad

ArboristSite Operative
Last year I had a large oak dropped - it was two trunks coming up from a large common base. The tree guys left too much of the stump sticking up so I paid a guy to come cut it flush since my saw is way too small for a job like that. He hit a rock inside the stump and had to stop.

I was able to identify the perimeter of the rock and cut around it, which still left a substantial mini-stump sticking up. Yesterday I put a burn barrel over it and burnt most of the mini-stump down and learned the rock was a football size chunk of concrete.

I believe my neighborhood was built on an old farm about 35 years ago. Why would a tree have concrete poured into it? Clearly it was done when the tree was much younger but I don't see signs there was a cavity or anything. Are there certain reasons why people may sometimes do this?

Brushwacker

Brushwacker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Tree services be careful about contracting trees with cement unknown. I knowed a guy that done so and after ruining some chain had to hire a wrecker to pull the stump.