Would you cut this large Maple down in one piece?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

under_the_hill

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A customer asked me to quote cutting down this maple tree in his yard. It measures 26 inches diameter at 3 feet high and about 50 feet tall. There is room in the yard for the entire tree and the customer has no underground utilities in the area.

My concerns are the large limbs extending over a wide area and that there is no large central leader. Is there potential for twisting off of the hinge? If this was your job, would you cut it down in one piece? There are several very large pines across the yard that could be used for ropes and rope pullers.

front.JPG side.JPG

Thank you for the replies.

I passed on the job for now and asked the man to contact me in a year if he still wants the tree removed and hasn't had it removed.

No bucket truck, crotchclimber. That'd work well as there's plenty of room to bring one in here. Just not my business model.

Agree, derwoodii, the tree was in great shape at the base and has definite character. Didn't have a chance to ask the customer why he wanted it removed.

I want experience working with trees that size and I know a veteran in the industry whom I can assist this year and gain that knowledge. Typically I work alone, though the homeowner is on site.

Back