Would you guys even split sycamore?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity what are we talking about here? Sycamore in UK is a good firewood. Easy to split, seasons quite fast, burns nice
Over here we call Acer pseudoplatanus Sycamore.

I wish it were the UK kind...

I've just read mixed reviews on the US Sycamore. I'll be using it in my outdoor firepit for Fall and Spring fires, so I'm not all that concerned about the best "heat" value; just am more concerned about the difficulty splitting (with a splitter).

i won't even try to split the US version of sycamore unless it sat and air dried for atleast 6 mos..
threr's alot of twisty wood grain in that stuff when it does split/pop, it's sometimes pretty violent ..

We tested some large and small rounds yesterday and had just one narly piece that we'll probably noodle to size. The others seemed to do "okay" but not great. We only split about a 1/4 cord yesterday to test it green and still have at least 1 to 1.5 cords to go. I see what you mean by twisty grains (it's tough to get a read on it and popping). We may try a little bit later after it sits, but we won't be able to wait 6 months, so we'll just see how it goes.

Appreciate the feedback!

I don't know any wood that doesn't split better green, but that's a European perspective. I'm willing to be corrected.

I don't know any wood that doesn't split better green, but that's a European perspective. I'm willing to be corrected.
pm me your address, and ill ship you a chunk of the US version if i can find a green one.....trust me you would'nt like it ...
after it dries it looses about half of it's weight and splits alot like maple, except for those "exciting pieces"

I have always split green wood as well (oak and pecan) but read mixed reviews on sycamore green vs. say 6 mo out. I think it was stated in another thread that 80-90% of the rounds split fine green, and that's about what we saw doing this last night. I think we will pick a day maybe a month out to try the rest.

I just got a load of Sycamore dropped off for free so yeah I will be splitting it. It may not be the easiest stuff to split but it still burns.

Call me a snob...i have limited time and can ask for specific tree species from my tree service drop off guys. Sycamore aint worth my time, space or effort, stinks and is slimy when wet. Hate that stuff.

You guys that are hatin on the red oak smell...im wonderin what you dont like. Red oak is like yeast or beer smelling to me. Pin oak or black oaks stink to high hell. Elm too. Other then that ill just walk around my pile sometimes with my dog just to "smell the roses" of the red oak.

I always found sycamore to split more easily on a tangent than radially

It definitely does go easier tangentially ( that's just an awful word, aint it...) than radially. A couple years ago I had nothing to do and went and got a CL sycamore that was about 24" dbh and about beat myself into the ground on it. I noodled or sliced it to stove opening size, then let that sit all summer long til fall. When I went back to it and hammered on it, it came apart comparatively easily both directions ( I'm trying not to say tangentially again.....doh! ). It wasn't super-easy, but most of the time one swing was all it took.

So something definitely happens to it when it sits for a while that makes it easier. I've also not had much trouble splitting ~8" sycamore rounds, 2-3 whacks and it's split.

Every tree is different though and it's never a hard and fast rule that a certain species will split easy/hard. For example, in my area sourwood is one of the harder ones to split normally. A buddy n me cut a large one down ( about 15" dbh ) the other day and it absolutely flew apart as easy as poplar/red oak n the like. It was a bit straighter than most sourwoods ( they normally look like DNA ) but not arrow straight or anything. So each individual tree's growing conditions make a big difference and to say that one species is always hard or easy just isn't accurate.

ok reviving this thread
this is my fifth year heating with wood
these huge sycamores were in the way of the sat dish, they are about all i got thats dry right now
gonna fill up the shed with the huge branch wood that has dried on ground since february. This stuff burns hot with small flame and no smell when completely dry. And its no good for growing mushrooms or smoking ribs with so in the heating stove it will go
anyone that wants to drop off some oak or hickory I got plenty of space
got to start getting ready for winter

Back