New Miller Here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool video. My grandmother wrote about cypress logging in 1949 for the Miami News. She had to freelance under male names her first few years because they couldn't have a woman writing about such manly pursuits lol. She spent all her spare time in and wrote about Florida's wild places and characters in Sunday newspaper magazine feature pieces before becoming an award winning investigative journalist in the 1950's (eventually under her own name). She built her family's home in Miami mostly by herself in 1950 with a lot of cypress beams. She's up on the roof above the chimney.
Pretty neat heritage in your family. I'd dig up as many of her articles as you can and make an album.

Ohhh, got any pics of the cypress stump? The stump to this pecan I milled is still there, about 5ft. I forgot to measure it but I'm pretty sure it's too big for my setup. It's probably 40+ inches.
View attachment 1158667

This is how I've started stacking my wood in the open. Shade tarp! Knocks out the sun but still lets some air flow through. I still tarp the top when it rains.

View attachment 1158668
I only have limited experience, but it seems like the black covering would draw heat from the sun despite being porous, causing too rapid drying of the lumber.

I only have limited experience, but it seems like the black covering would draw heat from the sun despite being porous, causing too rapid drying of the lumber.
You're probably right to a degree, air movement is where most of your drying comes from though. Heat helps but airflow matters exponentially more I believe. It's very windy out here, I'm surrounded by open fields.
The shade tarps are mostly for keeping the direct sunlight off, which grays the edges. And secondly to actually restrict the airflow a bit to keep it from drying too fast. 20-30 mph winds for a few days during low humidity could potentially hurt a fresh stack of green wood IMO.

I'm very green and still learning myself.

Latest posts

Back