WTB: Pretty wood scraps for handgun stocks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x101airborne

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good evening all.
I looked through the forums for a general selling or buying section and didn't see one so I am posting here.
Mods... If this is in the wrong place and it needs moving would you please tell me where I should post things like this next time. I am teachable but you have to shock me a lot. LOL.
I am looking for some pretty scraps of wood for making revolver grips. These are not for me to sell, I want to give my kids something special from their old man. I don't care what kind of wood it is. I am not a great woodworker and will probably mess a couple up so don't offer me 100 dollar discs of some unobtanium wood. Unobtanium would be fun to learn from but I don't want hurt feelings if I foul it up.
Off the top of my head, Osage, Cherry, HV Black Walnut (LOL. Yes, I read the thread. LOL.) Maple, Locust, Ironwood, Birch, etc. Basically whatever you find here and there. Anything that would make a nice pair of single action grips for a handgun and are workable.
I would pay cash plus shipping reasonable pieces for reasonable prices. If you have anything of "marginal" quality I can practice with, that would be a bonus.
Please email me at x101airborne at yahoo dot com so I can see the offers on my phone. Or please call me at 36one-77two-622nine. If I can answer I will but the little lady at the phone store put a code on my mailbox and never told me so I don't receive messages. Texts will also work well and I will reply as soon as I can.
Thank you all in advance.
Trey

It would be cheaper and easier to go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a 2x4 to practice on. Ask around the tree services in your area and see what they may have.

I have locust, oak, maple, alder, cherry and walnut in my wood pile, but I don't think it will easily cross the border.

I thank you for the advice but I live my life like an idiot savant. Sometimes the first attempt is best. LOL!!!!! Just kidding.
I have never seen Canada. Sure would like to once in my life. Seems all I ever got sent to was mud swamps or deserts.
Unfortunately in the guberments infinite wisdom, the 101 had some beautiful Osage trees on our PT field cut down and hauled off and burned.
Some of those trees were at very minimum 24 inches across 6 foot high. Dog goned waste.

Every now and then, I keep a piece that I think might be interesting. Most of it has a plan somewhere in my head. I do have a couple of pieces of Russian olive that I could send your way. I also saved a piece of maple earlier this year that has some spalting in it...I haven't sawn that into smaller pieces yet, but I think it may be too punky to be useful.

How big are you thinking? Perhaps small enough to fit in a small USPS Flat Rate box? If you don't need anything thicker than 4/4 I probably have some cherry, walnut, and maybe ash shorts I could part with. (I got the USPS box idea from another forum I visit called woodnet. They have a tool swap and sell section where folks will periodically sell a flat rate box of various cutoffs so you might check in there...you'll probably also get some ideas of what other guys are using for grips)

If you have any close to your home furniture restorers you could possibly obtain pieces large enough for your purpose Burr Walnut is a very decorative wood

I'll check my shed later. I know I have Walnut and possibly some Osage Orange. What dimensions would work best for you? I may even have some White Oak, Red Oak and Maple.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your advice and willingness to consider my request.
Just off the top of my head, I think 1/2 inch thick, 3 1/2 inches wide by 5 inches tall would give me plenty of material to work with.

Back