Can we bring back stocks in the town square to put people like this in?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see one of these ads nearly every day. What is wrong with people. I wish there was a better way of publicly ridiculing them. It's gone from "I have a very valuable black walnut tree" to thinking any tree they have is worth the big bucks. They're basically saying "I have some raw materials that I am incapable of turning into anything of value and normally I would pay more than $2000 to have removed, but I place so little value on the skilled labor of others that I think they should work for me for free in exchange for my raw materials that only their labor can turn into anything of value." Now even when trees are cut down by a tree service friend and he asks the homeowners if they'd mind me salvaging the trunks vs them being cut up for the landfill, half the time the homeowners think I'm getting something valuable for nothing and tell him no. Or they want me to build a table for them in exchange for the wood lol. Despite them having to pay to get rid of it otherwise. SMH.

Screen Shot 2024-01-23 at 2.59.43 PM.png

I see one of these ads nearly every day. What is wrong with people. I wish there was a better way of publicly ridiculing them. It's gone from "I have a very valuable black walnut tree" to thinking any tree they have is worth the big bucks. They're basically saying "I have some raw materials that I am incapable of turning into anything of value and normally I would pay more than $2000 to have removed, but I place so little value on the skilled labor of others that I think they should work for me for free in exchange for my raw materials that only their labor can turn into anything of value." Now even when trees are cut down by a tree service friend and he asks the homeowners if they'd mind me salvaging the trunks vs them being cut up for the landfill, half the time the homeowners think I'm getting something valuable for nothing and tell him no. Or they want me to build a table for them in exchange for the wood lol. Despite them having to pay to get rid of it otherwise. SMH.

View attachment 1147221
Hopefully, they will get someone dumb enough to try - and take out the sheds and anything else in the area. That should be lesson enough.

View attachment 1147221

I had a lady last year get in touch with me about some madrones. First she said it was one tree. Then she said, actually, it's a clump of a few trees. Then she said each stem is 2'+ in diameter.

Okay.

Then she remembers they are in the center of a built deck/porch/seating area and leaning over her house. And the madrones are dead/dying.

Before I could get the sentence, "you need a climber, and I'm not one; let me refer you to...." the lady says, "and I don't really have any money to spend, but you can have/haul all the firewood and sell it!

And this was coming from someone who had lived in the hills for 30 years and should know better.

Mills won't take yard trees or fence line trees

this has been posted many times here.....

that’s why I was referencing that and the other black walnut video (“my friends say it’s worth the big bucks”). We all get it of course. Clueless homeowners are the ones who need to see them. It’s usually due to the misguided notion slabs are worth a fortune, but some people seem to think firewood is worth a fortune too.

In fact that sounds exactly like Southern Humboldt to me.

Probably a combination of Lyme, brain tumors, and too much weed. Which is a pretty apt description for many out here.

that’s why I was referencing that and the other black walnut video (“my friends say it’s worth the big bucks”). We all get it of course. Clueless homeowners are the ones who need to see them. It’s usually due to the misguided notion slabs are worth a fortune, but some people seem to think firewood is worth a fortune too.

People do think firewood is worth a fortune. They've also probably never processed firewood from standing-tree to fully-seasoned product, including the transportation and dealing with customers side of things. I've often toyed with the idea of setting up to sell 20-40cords a year, but i can recoup the same profit-difference by just growing most of my own food. Way better for my emotional health, too!

Probably a combination of Lyme, brain tumors, and too much weed. Which is a pretty apt description for many out here.

People do think firewood is worth a fortune. They've also probably never processed firewood from standing-tree to fully-seasoned product, including the transportation and dealing with customers side of things. I've often toyed with the idea of setting up to sell 20-40cords a year, but i can recoup the same profit-difference by just growing most of my own food. Way better for my emotional health, too!
True!

Latest posts

Back