xl top handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
got a little top handle xl . construction seems good so i think this may be a pre downturn homelite. works good and all the little
stuff works but the chain oil is finding its way into the cylinder an not to the chain. its no big investment but ive never seen this before. any ideas appreciated. as ill start breakin it dn tommorow,or when i have time to play.
any help appreciated. thanks
ps if u guys have seen this and its been dropped and broke the casing or what ever. let me know and i wont fool with it.
first homelite ive owned in 15 yrs.:eek: :)
talked the fella from 45 to 30 . did he get the best o me anyway.:) wont be the first time.

ill give her a look see. dang thing sure isnt maintenance friendly. looks like i gotta take the whole case appart to get to anything except the chain an plug. man just shows these saws have come a long way. this little thing was once a good piece tho or it wouldnt be running as old as it is. she still got a lot o run in her . but wont do much good if i cant solve this oil problem the way the oil comes out the muffler ,runs under the saw and in general everywhere but on the chain . and oh yea it thru oil off the chain a couple o time ,like its suppose to. . oh well ,win one, lose one,rains one out. thanks stihl tech for the advice.

Those are good enough saws when they're running, but they're evil little things to work on. Rumor has it that a major stockholder in the top rubber hose company played a big part in the design.

man i can believe it. think i got a sweet little saw here, only driven to church on sunday. shes comes cheap .say 15 .
oh okay ill give 20 if u ll take it. this ones a loser i think. considerin what ill have after i fix it . if i choose to :( :)
this ones probably going in the nice tool bin i got out back . with no lock. i said no lock. even told the dog to leave anybody alone he catches in that one. :)
no offence to the readers ,but we all know theres probably one or two readin
who might be interested.:)

Last edited:
Let me know if you figure out the oil in cylinder problem. I have an XL2 that puts oil in the cylinder when I turn it sideways

okay bud, its already on ebay for 15 bucks.
that dont fly and guess ill have to pull it apart. something im not looking forward to. if i discover somethin ,ill let u know.

What's the item number? I have one I can't get to run maybe between the two I could bash one "good" saw.

Like stihltech says "See if the duckbill valve is still on the end of the hose at the top of the oil tank, inside."

The Line in the top of the Oil tank comes directly from the lower cylinder area or indirectly from the diaphragm pump to provide pressure to push the oil out of the tank over to the bar. There is supposed to be a rubber duckbill valve on the end to let the pressure in without letting the oil get back. The later models have a plastic/rubber 'T' valve. Either will work.
Just open the oilcap & look near the top to find the incoming pressure hose.
As the hose ages, the check valve or the connector can easily get pushed off & end up in the bottom of the oil tank :cool:

Originally posted by sedanman
What's the item number? I have one I can't get to run maybe between the two I could bash one "good" saw.

Sedanman I will sell you the one I have for $30 plus shipping if you are interested. It has a case also. I have two and dont really need both

Huskyman, If I bought your saw I'd still have to fix the other one! I can't have parts saws, I keep hunting basket cases to use the parts on then have left over good parts and the cycle continues.

Tony, I hope to win your saw so I can fix the one I told a friend I could fix, so far I have not been able to get his saw to run. I am bidding on your saw to make his run and I will give him all left over parts so I don't don't get caught up in small Homelites.

Back