Yes yes yes, i'll be heating my shop with wood for now on

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pine is a soft wood and actually burns relatively hot, just burns quick. if your worried about temps make sure your damper and air control work good so you can just about kill the fire if need be. come to think of it i didnt see a damper installed on your chimney, is there one on the stove itself?

Did not know that about pine. I knew it burns quick but hadn't heard that it was hot.

There is a damper in the stove and the thermostatic intake on the stove is working. the shop stove is a VC Resolute and my house stove is a VC Defiant and for whatever reason the thermostat control levers operate backwards to each other. I'm used to left/open and right/closed and couldn't figure out why i couldn't get a good burn in the hop stove.

Last edited:
Looking good. Should keep the shop nice and warm. :)

I'm gonna hope that temporary connector pipe flue is a short temporary. Stovepipe isn't made for or fire rated for use outdoors. It'll fill with creosote and rot out quickly.

I'd respectfully suggest a stoveboard or pad to lay under the stove and hearth area. Honestly, it isn't very safe to burn the way it is.

Just my thoughts. :)

No problem, it's your thoughts I'm looking for...

Yeah, I'm not expecting the stove pipe to last all that long outside. The shop is for both play and work so i had to get it done quickly and cheaply. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for some proper used pipe on CL. With the T/cap setup I'll be able to clean it easily until then.

As for the hearth I'm gonna keep my eye on it but since it's cinder block sitting on a concrete slab i'm not too worried about it. I haven't used this stove until yesterday so if it proves to be messy and I'm getting a lot of ash/coals spilling out the front I'll have to get something under it.

Thanks. My biggest worry is that it's too much stove. The shop is for the most part poorly insulated and has drafts galor and I'm planning to primarily burn pine all of which should help keep the temp down.

The VC will put out a lot of heat, but you can damp it way back so it doesn't run you out of the room.

A little update...

After a few days of semi solid burning I gotta say I'm pretty happy, and I better be, the propane man came a took his tank today. I'm still getting used to the stove. I don't care for the drop down front door as it lets ash and coals roll down on to the hearth. I may end up either putting a pan under the stove (as suggested above) or extending the block out another course. Burning damp semi seasoned wood and scraps from the shop I'll get a slight chill while sitting on my butt wasting time and just short of breaking a sweat while working.

Be VERY careful with that chimney!! Maybe clean it every week. Cold chimney= creosote, wet wood, and cold chimney = a s$it load of creosote, A horizontal length like that = evan more creosote, a chimney fire in that pipe, = loss of building. When you get your new chimney, (if the building is still there) Think about 2 22 1/2 deg elbows, so there is no horizontal runs. Good luck, be safe.

Be VERY careful with that chimney!! Maybe clean it every week. Cold chimney= creosote, wet wood, and cold chimney = a s$it load of creosote, A horizontal length like that = evan more creosote, a chimney fire in that pipe, = loss of building. When you get your new chimney, (if the building is still there) Think about 2 22 1/2 deg elbows, so there is no horizontal runs. Good luck, be safe.

Very Good Points..
I would also recommend a non-combustible floor pad, not wood planks..

I thought about using 45's but opted for the T to make cleaning easier, but yes I am and will be keeping my eye on it. I won't be making a habit of burning wet wood. Putting the stove in was a spur of the moment thing so I'm a little behind on good wood.

Ok then, how about 2 22 1/2 elbow's then to the Tee. 1 up then then one sideways to a Tee.

this is an older "1979" Resolute (pre EPA I believe) and I just quickly read a thread on another site, and a guy said that he had the same stove hooked up to an uninsulated external chimney and he would have to clean the liner after every cord. I know what I'm doing tomorrow...

Opened it up today and there is definitely some creosote buildup. From what I could see, maybe half of the pipes total interior surface had some buildup maybe a 1/16 at it's worst. I'm gonna brush it tomorrow just cause. I got a tube of that granular flue cleaner for Christmas so I threw a scoop in as a test. Sure it's only one application but who knows...

that cleaner stuff works but its designed to break the build up off the walls and let it fall. dont get reliant on it and not cleaning or you will end up with a build up inside your horizontal pipe

Sounds good. The last thing I'm looking to do is burn my shop down especially since I don't own it...I tend to obsess over things so I won't sleep well until I know it's safe.

oh ur safe. just be careful is all. my neighbor has a very similar set up to yours and keeps it clean. been in use that way for 10+ years. he did use a heavier tube from a grain auger for the pipe tho so it didnt rot out but its not any different set up. no double lined stainless or anything. just gotta keep her brushed out :msp_thumbsup:

Back