Yesterday's Score and Today's Splitting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nosmo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a good neighbor who asked me if I'd like to cut on a limb which had fallen onto his property . I went over to his pasture and sure enough there was the biggest Hackberry limb I'd ever seen. I didn't look around to see the tree it had split from but it must have been 150 years old (just guessing). He had drug it to a burn pile with his tractor.

I cut branches off this limb 6-8 inches in diameter. That limb section was 391 inches to begin with. I cut 22 rounds which were 14-1/2" long each. I left a section which was about 6-feet long which was gnarled and twisted glad to leave that piece alone.

Came home with 16 rounds and a couple small pieces on the trailer and 6 rounds in the truck. Another trip home I had the pickup full of bucked pieces from the branches.

Oh yeah, these rounds except for about 6 of them are way too heavy for me to pickup. I have a crane on the back of my pickup. I have a TSC Big Red engine hoist I've modified by putting a winch on it and I can lift the up to the splitter.

Nosmo

Now that's a big hackberry limb. Most of the hackberry trees around here are not as big as that limb. Good score and good neighbor.

Nice stuff!

Big ole chunks! And I have no idea what a hackberry is either!

How does it split and burn?

I did the first half of a two weekend rebuild the chimney project.the hunnert year old brick one that got smashed in the tornado. It looked like an ms escher design when I started, got it kinda sorta straight and level now..kinda sorta.....During the week I will be doing some cutting though. Man, I love fall..finally cool enough to tackle a lot of neglected projects...

Hackberry is ok, usually splits fairly well. Burns about like silver maple. I believe it is a member of the elm family. Keep it off the ground, it will get punky pretty easily.

Hackberry

Lets see - Hackberry wood is yellow and as it seasons it turns white. The surface of the limbs and truck are covered with sharp and abrasive bumps and they'll tear a person's hide too.

My experiences with splitting Hackberry has been good. It seems to split just fine in a hydraulic splitter. For my burning expericences with it -- hot burning but quick burning too.

But the best part of getting a load like this is ------ I don't care how much I have spent on my saws, splitter, gas and oil or my labor --------I got free wood. hah :msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back