zig zag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A cracked link poses no additional risk to the user but should be retired immediately????????

They tested by cutting a bottom link, I'm thinking if a bottom link fails theres a good chance of jamming it up and losing friction completely, top link probably wouldn't be as much of a problem. They make it sound like not such a problem, just send it back and we'll give a coupon for free one .........if you're alive.

If I have to give mine back AGAIN I am gonna be pissed. I love mine.

You poor bastard! There was a fellow like you at the shop the other day still waiting for months to get a replacement for his original. We were in there trying on saddles and using a Zig-Zig and were talking with the guy. After about an hour we realized we were using HIS new zig zag which he had come to get. I pity the poor bastard.

If you pity him why not give him his new ZZ back?

They need to make the linked chain so it flexes sideways too.

I own 2 of them, one for a second rope in the tree I climb with on big spread trees. I watch to make sure mine doesn't get forced sideways on a limb or trunk etc.

I got my replacement ZZ in about 10 days. That was months ago. He must have liked his so much he didn't want to let it go to send in for replacement and have to wait.

After reading all of the recalls and stuff, I think I'll stick with my Blake's Hitch and micropulley for a while longer. Been playing around with a VT/pulley setup and like that as well.

After reading all of the recalls and stuff, I think I'll stick with my Blake's Hitch and micropulley for a while longer. Been playing around with a VT/pulley setup and like that as well.

Blakes and micro for self tending just don't work. The theory is tying a small prussik be it VT or Distal etc as the small cord bites on the larger line. So you prob fibbin....just a little.

I will never buy another hitch cord and never worry if it is time to retire it from use. I still occassionally throw a taughtline on a crane ball etc where self tending is of no use at all. If you have never tried this...ZZ (read cheapskate or don't make enough to buy one) then you have no right to comment on it so shut your flappers if this applies to you get-attachment (2).jpg .

Treevet,
you're right; Blake's and pulley alone didn't work too well for self tending. I now tie the pulley to the other part of my climbing line ( I think it's called the standing part ) with a short loop of paracord and a Klemheist so that the pulley is pulled up automatically, which works a lot better.
So you see, I wasn't fibbin;).
You're also right that, at the moment, I'm not able to justify spending that kind of money on a mechanical device as I'm not a pro and will not be for a while.
Lastly, my comment wasn't meant to bash the zigzag or any other such thing, I just want to see how this plays out. In the future, I'd like to try out the hitchhiker and zigzag both, to see which one would work better for me.
I'll shut my flapper now :D.

its all about the slack tending for me. Watching the line just drop through the ZZ without any effort is the cats a.ss. I save my self a lot of shoulder wear n tear not pulling that slack. Shoulder pain sucks. Some nights I have trouble sleeping because I cant lay on my side. So to me personally I hope the ZZ stays around. I guess a VT tends pretty easy but I just not to into the VT. I find the Mochian (cant spell it) the best hitch for me. The distel a close second.

what if ya get up there off srt and go to change over and ya drop your hitch cord or your pulley or your biners? The ZZ is all together and cl line installed that just ain't gonna happen. Smooth as silk.

Nothing wrong with the ZZ I own a Unicender I just don't trust the mechanicals especially the ZZ with all the problems they have had.

Zigzag as well as many new petzel products are trash , like my new pantin that spits the rope or my single hand ascender that occasionally will just allow the rope to move freely , quick easy to fix but it not cheap in my wallet so it shouldn't be cheaply made , vet likes it and that says something

Back