Zone 8 Teddy Bear Magnolia one sick puppy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveBody

Reaction score
I planted this magnolia four years ago and for three years it was healthy and robust. The past two, this leaf blight has begun and despite repeated applications of copper fungicide (recommended by a local nursery), it continues to decline. I love this tree. Is it dead or dying and, if not, do you have any ideas? Thanks!IMG_20210608_133912605.jpgIMG_20210517_151640343.jpgIMG_20210517_151654480.jpg

My first guess would be a soil PH issue.
Get the soil tested for a magnolia you should be 5.5 - 6. Alkaline soil will cause leaf yellowing.
Thanks, will do. I'm really more worried about the Black Death Scum than yellowing, though.

The leaf spot is not a big concern. You're treating with fungicide however tree is still stressed. That's why I would check soil PH. Other possible issues would be improper planting depth, low oxygen soils and lawn treatments.

The leaf spot is not a big concern. You're treating with fungicide however tree is still stressed. That's why I would check soil PH. Other possible issues would be improper planting depth, low oxygen soils and lawn treatments.
I don't know what I could do about planting depth. I planted it the depth the nursery specified. I did what they said to yesterday and went over the whole tree, leaf by leaf, and removed anything that had spotting. It is free of it for the moment but I think I may knock off the fungicide, as it says on it that it's for use before the spring season starts. And we did have TruGreen doing our lawns for the past three years but cancelled them this year. Maybe that will help.

Thanks for being so generous with your time!

Back