McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CORRECTION re: PM800 PM8200

I checked the model number and it appears to be consistent with an 800 although someone could have changed the tank. If so, it could be a Super PM850 but not the original 850 as the newer cowling requires a screw boss that the older 850 don’t have. Anyway who knows with McCulloch – my DE80 doesn’t have a DSP although the IPL only shows a DSP configuration. My 8200 doesn’t have a DSP either and its IPL shows both configurations. I haven’t pulled the muffler on the 800, but I have a toasted 800 that I have compared with the earlier 850 and the SP81. The exhaust port of the 800 has a small enlargement at the top center about the size of a typical round file. I don’t know what I am talking about for sure but I assume this change was made to ease starting without overly reducing running compression if there is such a thing.
The Truck is good to get in and out of the woods, winch and pull logs but the bed is pretty high for hand loading.
Ron

Sorry guys, but I put out some bad information regarding the PM800 and the PM8200. The IPL shows the 800 with and without the DSP. It is the PM8200 IPL that only shows no DSP. My 8200 has no port for a DSP. I'll pull the muffler bolts on my nonDSP 800 and my DE80 sometime and see if either has a port. In any event, I have not been able to find a DSP valve with the correct threads to replace the muffler bolt. Ron

PS Got 4 more loads of wood since my last post. Just need to shorten them to stove lenght and the Macs will be done for a couple of weeks.

All right you Mac heathens, worshipers of big cube Mac's, Mac Racers and all round lovers of yellow magnesium, I stumbled into this Mac beauty this week.

Looking at the size of its mighty 12" blade, I go this musta been the ultimate Mac racing saw where the oldtimers like to brag about....

Just tell me what I got here...solid frame without AV, full metal throttle, big size reeds , manual oiler, racing size bar, ....you name it :laugh:

When I woke up this beast (the inlet needle was leaking) , I got this weird feeling of new spiders crawling upon Randy's brain at night, and my buddy Mark encountering horrible dreams thinking I might challenge him in the upcoming GTG with this beast... Even downunder McBob's ticker went skyrocketing for an instant....

The race bet is on now....:rockn:

attachment.php

Nice one Roland,
I showed this pic to my 797's
and got them a shaking. I had
to calm them down.

Lee

All right you Mac heathens, worshipers of big cube Mac's, Mac Racers and all round lovers of yellow magnesium, I stumbled into this Mac beauty this week.

Looking at the size of its mighty 12" blade, I go this musta been the ultimate Mac racing saw where the oldtimers like to brag about....

Just tell me what I got here...solid frame without AV, full metal throttle, big size reeds , manual oiler, racing size bar, ....you name it :laugh:

When I woke up this beast (the inlet needle was leaking) , I got this weird feeling of new spiders crawling upon Randy's brain at night, and my buddy Mark encountering horrible dreams thinking I might challenge him in the upcoming GTG with this beast... Even downunder McBob's ticker went skyrocketing for an instant....

The race bet is on now....:rockn:]

Sorry Roland but your saw will have to be disqualified, no clutch cover...now for a small fee I might see my way clear to supply you with one of my spares.

attachment.php

Mark

Tons of American made McCulloch parts left to crumble away in the elements?
That sounds to me just how the Vietnam Veterans were treated after coming home! Calvin, are any of these parts still usable? Magnesium corrosion is like malignant skin cancer, if you catch it early enough you just might save it. Is this prison camp, I mean scrap place close to you Calvin? Can you slip in & take pictures to document the conditions? We need some reliable intelligence before we do anything rash. These persons holding on to these parts may go ahead & scrap them if they know we are coming. Can you provide GPS coordinates? Addresses? Land marks?

Hwy 111 in jacksonville its a salvage yard

Don't let him hear you say that or you might become the one legged man in the butt kicking contest.

I really have to ask, were men that much tougher in the "old days"? How could you manhandle one of those beasts all day? Maybe a better question is how many of them lived beyond 50 years of age with all of their parts still working?

Mark

Yeah, he was kinda pissed I didn't get him a snack out of one of the pin oaks.
Had a snotty atitude all day today. Too many people walking around last night.

attachment.php

:dizzy::dizzy:

:givebeer:

She's looking at me again....thinks it's strange for a grown man to laugh at his computer.

Red or grey?

Mark

Red, I only take out the bucks that think they can kick a boxers :censored:.
I thought one was gonna take me on one day mowing the yard. Little :censored:, never hated a rodent so much in my life.

Jerry

:cheers:

Don't let him hear you say that or you might become the one legged man in the butt kicking contest.

I really have to ask, were men that much tougher in the "old days"? How could you manhandle one of those beasts all day? Maybe a better question is how many of them lived beyond 50 years of age with all of their parts still working?

Mark

Hmmm, tougher? Perhaps. Remember that all equipment from that period was abusive to the body, ever drive an old pick-up? The old guys I worked with were kinda beatup, they kept moving, but with deliberation, pretty much the way I do now.
I do know, having wrestled with the next generation of chainsaws and pick-ups from 1960s, they were no lunch in the park either, and a far cry from the 1950s stuff. I did expirience the Fifties style chainsaw, a Terrill CS-7, I spent my first two weeks falling timber with my Grandad's old beast. The crafty old buzzard convinced me that starting a new job with a new saw was bad luck and before I could dive into the pile after the Homelite, he issued me the Terrill. He spent the time breaking in my saw, while I gnawed away with that relic.

McCulloch 550 - Carb trouble

I had a bit of spare time today, so decided to go through the Mac 'pile' and look at a few saws which I haven't had a chance to get to since purchase. One is this 550, which upon its arrival - I gave it a run, and run it did (quite well). Today was a different story - the saw ran allover the place - wouldn't idle properly etc. All in all it was very erratic.

I decided to pull the carb for further investigation, as no amount of tuning seemed to do any good. I was happy that this saw is fitted with a Mac flatback carb - without the primer assy. I had a couple of NOS carb kits on hand so thought it would be a good idea to overhaul the unit.

When dismantling the carb, I found it was pretty dirty with alot of sediment and fine particles trapped in the filter screen and pump diaphragm area. When I dismantled the main diaphragm, the 'push plate' had come adrift from the diaphragm itself and was floating about on the metering lever. I can assume that this was also contributing to the control (or lack thereof ) issues I was having when running the saw.

Apart from the above diaphragm issue - the dirty carb was found to be the result of a missing fuel filter inside the tank. The felt element was missing from the bell end of the fuel line!

Cleaned and reassembled, the saw now runs really well which is a good thing. It is always nice when an investigation and plan comes together!

Here are some pics of the 'floating' diaphragm plate, and the saw in question.

Regards,

Chris.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back