Best Tachometer for saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got one Digital Laser Photo Tachometer to day, cost $93.00 here in Norway, Accuracy of ±(0.05%+1 digit) Sampling Time of 0.5 sec., have to test it an other day, so I can't tell you anything more about it.

Here is a link, and one pic, of almost the same model, this is a Digital Laser Tachometer, (no Photo), but I don't know the difference? other then it's at a lower cost($49.00) in US.
http://www.web-tronics.com/lastacdt.html

attachment.php

Did some reading in the Tach manual, and tested it on one saw today.
The difference between Laser PHOTO and non PHOTO, is that the Digital Laser PHOTO have a shorter Detecting Distance and wider Laser beam, so it's easy to use. This model have memory for last Max and Min RPM reading. There is also a symbol in the display for when the Tach is reading correctly.
I taped on some reflecting Tape to the flywheel on my muffler modded Husky 55, this saw is tuned by ear, and did some reading whit the Tach. The idle was 2770-2850 RPM, the WOT was 12750-13080 RPM. I think this Tach is easy to understand and use.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
MAG58:
Does your manual give the min & max distance ranges for the Digital Laser Photo ?

MAG58
Yor getting your Tools all wet! I haven't seen a Grey Top 55 in a long time, they look great with the Grey Top. :cool: :cool:

I can promise you that everything here is getting wet when you'r outside, cos here is a new RECORD in RAIN:censored: And the Grey Top 55 is one of the saw's I bought new in 1991, it has seen plenty wood and it's still going strong:)

Bobcat MAG58:
Does your manual give the min & max distance ranges for the Digital Laser Photo ?

Yes, for the Digital Laser Photo, the Detecting Distance is 50mm to 500mm.

I can promise you that everything here is getting wet when you'r outside, cos here is a new RECORD in RAIN:censored: And the Grey Top 55 is one of the saw's I bought new in 1991, it has seen plenty wood and it's still going strong:)

MAG58
Your 55 looks like BRANDNEW I have seen new chainsaws used less than 1 hour look worse than your 1991 saw! You keep a Tidy Ship. :bowdown:

MAG58
Your 55 looks like BRANDNEW I have seen new chainsaws used less than 1 hour look worse than your 1991 saw! You keep a Tidy Ship. :bowdown:

Thank you, and yes, I try to have all my tools clean up and tidy after use :cool: I think it's mush better for the tools, and it's more nicer when you are taking the tools out to use again. My thinking is that the saw's or any tool should be cleaned up real good if they are to rest fore some time.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Did some reading in the Tach manual, and tested it on one saw today.
The difference between Laser PHOTO and non PHOTO, is that the Digital Laser Photo have a shorter Detecting Distance and wider Laser beam, so it's easy to use. This model have memory for last Max and Min RPM reading. There is also a symbol in the display for when the Tach is reading correctly.
I taped on some reflecting Tape to the flywheel on my muffler modded Husky 55, this saw is tuned by ear, and did some reading whit the Tach. The idle was 2770-2850 RPM, the WOT was 12750-13080 RPM. I think this Tach is easy to understand and use.
I was looking at those, but didnt want to have to put the reflective tape on all the saws to get the readings. especially when i line 4 up in a row to check in about 5 mins. Thats what scared me off that tach. But glad it worked for you.
Nice looking husky too!

I was looking at those, but didnt want to have to put the reflective tape on all the saws to get the readings. especially when i line 4 up in a row to check in about 5 mins. Thats what scared me off that tach. But glad it worked for you.
Nice looking husky too!

I think this Tach is easy and fast to use, but as you say, you have to put on Reflective Tape on the flywheel on every saw. But if you clean it good whit Aceton before you put on the Tape, it should stay pretty good in place fore some time I think. And thank you, I think the Husky is nice too :)

Last edited:
I bought one those tachs for about $32 including shipping. I my case I'm not using it on saws - way to tricky to hold it and tune at the same time. I'm using it to see the speed of my lathe, drill press etc. Nice units...

I bought one those tachs for about $32 including shipping. I my case I'm not using it on saws - way to tricky to hold it and tune at the same time. I'm using it to see the speed of my lathe, drill press etc. Nice units...

Yes it tricky to hold it and tune the saw at the same time, but I tune the saw and then do some reading whit the Tach. And it seem to be at a lower cost in US, as always :laugh:

I just bought this tach from a small engine shop on Ebay.

dti-tt20k-1.jpg

* Reads Engine RPM up to 15 inches (35 cm) from the ignition wire
* ON and MODE Button Turns off automatically
* Display Window protected with Lexan film
* Displays up to 20,000 RPM with a 10 rpm accuracy
* Engine RPM is updated every .5 seconds
* Large Display for easy readout
* Shielded antenna lead for “hands free” operation included
* Replaceable 9V Battery included
* Weather Proof housing including protective “rubber” casing
* Can be set for single and multi cylinder engines, 2-cycle and 4-cycle
* Maximum Recall of RPM
* Complete Operating Instructions included
* One year limited factory warranty

I have sent a message to the seller to see if he has more available. It seems like a great unit with fast .5 sample rate, replaceable battery, max RPM readout, etc.

I'll post a follow up once I get the tach.

It was $99 shipped

EDIT: he does have more available, and as a newbie 'round here, I would love to know the appropriate way to share info for those interested.

Last edited:
You can go to the company web site for that tech tach 20 and their fast tach (made for chainsaws)and get them both for $85 apiece plus the $5 shipping. i looked at them both.

MAG58:

Well here you have it all :eek:

Digital Laser Tachometer Specifications

Display: 5 digits, 15mm (0.6") LCD Display
Accuracy: ±(0.05%+1 digit)
Precision: 0.1 RPM (2.5 – 999.99 RPM), 1 RPM (over 1000 RPM)
Sampling Time: 0.5 sec. (over 120 RPM)
Range select: Auto-Ranging
Range: 2.5 to 99,999 RPM
Memory Function:The Max value/ Min value/ Last displayed value will be automaticly stored in memory
Time Base: Quartz Crystal
Detecting Distance: 50mm to 500mm (PHOTO)
Operating Temp: 0-50 deg C
Dimensions: 160 x 72 x 37 mm
Power consumption: approx 50mA
Weight: 30 grams (including batteries)
Operate: 4 AA Batteries

Remember this is the PHOTO type ;) and you have to read the specifications to know :confused:
attachment.php

Last edited:
I just bought this tach from a small engine shop on Ebay.

dti-tt20k-1.jpg

* Reads Engine RPM up to 15 inches (35 cm) from the ignition wire
* ON and MODE Button Turns off automatically
* Display Window protected with Lexan film
* Displays up to 20,000 RPM with a 10 rpm accuracy
* Engine RPM is updated every .5 seconds
* Large Display for easy readout
* Shielded antenna lead for “hands free” operation included
* Replaceable 9V Battery included
* Weather Proof housing including protective “rubber” casing
* Can be set for single and multi cylinder engines, 2-cycle and 4-cycle
* Maximum Recall of RPM
* Complete Operating Instructions included
* One year limited factory warranty

I have sent a message to the seller to see if he has more available. It seems like a great unit with fast .5 sample rate, replaceable battery, max RPM readout, etc.

I'll post a follow up once I get the tach.

It was $99 shipped

EDIT: he does have more available, and as a newbie 'round here, I would love to know the appropriate way to share info for those interested.

I used the same tach for two years - worked great... RBTREE now owns it..

Thanks for the thumbs up Andy. :D

edit: I talked with one of the tech guys at Design Technologies, and he said the 20K is just a little faster sampling than the Fast Tach, comes with the wiring harness & the protective boot and is just as good with chain saws.

He echoed Andy's comments saying the 20K is used by many shops, including some brand name manufacurers.

He even offered to let me trade my Ebay bought 20k for a Fast Tach, but we both thought I would enjoy the 20k just fine.

It sounds like Design Technologies can be added to the list of companies with great support. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the thumbs up Andy. :D

edit: I talked with one of the tech guys at Design Technologies, and he said the 20K is just a little faster sampling than the Fast Tach, comes with the wiring harness & the protective boot and is just as good with chain saws.

He echoed Andy's comments saying the 20K is used my many shops, including some brand name manufacurers.

He even offered to let me trade my Ebay bought 20k for a Fast Tach, but we both thought I would enjoy the 20k just fine.

It sounds like Design Technologies can be added to the list of companies with great support. :

Agreed with your post. If I couldnt get the EDT-5. Thats what i was going for next.

I have a PET-1100 that I got from one of the members here a while back.
Does everything i want from it. It was highly regarded back then. Does anyone else use them?
19000 RPM max
0.5 refresh
PET-1100-l.jpg

Back