Best Tachometer for saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good catch. I just took another look, and I was actually looking at the process for the 064; the instructions for the analog 066 just sort of vaguely mention a tach after describing the basic settings, without making the procedure clear.

I was overfocused on Greg's question about running at max RPM. Anyway, I just had a few minutes to fool around with the EDT8 today, and it takes a second or so to reach a stable setting. It never got above about 11,800 (stock 660, about 5 tanks of fuel through it). That's close to what I want for milling, but I was a little leery about staying at WOT for a couple of seconds to be sure of the reading. Is that overcautious?

5 sec is o.k.... But caution is good.....

I bought the EDT-8 recently. It works good for me. I don't know if it does 4stroke or not but it doesn't matter as I will only use it on my saw(s)

I should mention that finding this little tach at my local dealers was like searching for the holy grail. No one knew what the hell I was asking for, even with the part number!

$99 bucks and some change...once they found it!

I just got an EDT 8 delivered yesterday, as I wanted a tach for quite a while now. Price incl shipping 73 Euro(eq. 95 USD) will test it tomorrow.

according to the manual, it can also be used for 4 stroke.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
SenDec not so good

I bought the SenDec from Baileys, and I think you can do better. It's really slow to read, and I'm not confident I know when it's reading max, real time, or whatever the 3rd function is. I feel I have to rev my saw way too long to get a stable reading, then I doubt it. I like to tune while I run, so the delay really messes with you since you have to try to remember where your adjustment was 1 - 2 seconds ago.

It also doesn't have a replaceable battery, so once it dies, the unit is useless. The back of the unit is potted in epoxy, so good luck trying to crack it to replace it Rambo style. They said they have 10 years on one without the battery going dead. It just seems reasonable to me that something this expensive would have a replaceable battery.

It's probably the only thing I've ever purchased at Baileys that I thought was sub-standard.

I would like to know if anybody is using this edt-8 tach on 4 cyc. engines
Does it work on 2 cylinders or just one ?
also does it hold last max rpm reading ?

I have the $24 tach and I would not recommend it as it takes way to long to get a stable reading. Spend the extra cash and be happy.

Update on EDT 5. I LOVE IT!
I use it wireless all the time so far and I bet i have held it at least a foot away sometimes when used.
I still tune by ear and then check myself and then do final settings.
I like the fact that it has the replaceable battery option too.

I have one of those cheapie $24 tachs setting in the tool box taching how fast I put my tools back in forth now.;)

Now here is the whole thread breaking down the cheapie tach, bailey's tach and the edt-5. Read and soak it in it is all there, relay times for each tach and all. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=40725&highlight=cheapie+tach Some of the guys are using the cheapie tach mounted on there milling saws.

Now here is the whole thread breaking down the cheapie tach, bailey's tach and the edt-5. Read and soak it in it is all there, relay times for each tach and all. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=40725&highlight=cheapie+tach Some of the guys are using the cheapie tach mounted on there milling saws.

But you can't get an edt-5 anymore - at least not from NorthEast Stihl. Ordered one and the dealer got an edt-8 instead. :angry:

"But I wanted a -5. Sell me yours?" "NOOO!!!!" :buttkick:

But you can't get an edt-5 anymore - at least not from NorthEast Stihl. Ordered one and the dealer got an edt-8 instead. :angry:

"But I wanted a -5. Sell me yours?" "NOOO!!!!" :buttkick:

Now isnt this funny, in this thread you had a chance to buy a EDT-5 from your dealer and chose not to. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=564196#post564196 I even tried to get you to find out for me how much your dealer wanted for the edt-5 in stock and you just blew me off. :hmm3grin2orange:
Just to let you know I love the EDT-5 and it super quick read out and refresh rate. I hear the new ones arnt as fast.

I went and searched that seller that 04ultra posted and he has the PET-302 forsale. http://cgi.ebay.com/Stihl-ECHO-Tach...ryZ79669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the DTI Fast-Tach vs. Tech-Tach 20k? They are the same price, but it's not clear why I would pick one over the other. Looks like more people have the Tech-Tach 20k based on this thread.

Thanks,

-John

Any thoughts on the DTI Fast-Tach vs. Tech-Tach 20k? They are the same price, but it's not clear why I would pick one over the other. Looks like more people have the Tech-Tach 20k based on this thread.

Thanks,

-John

I did call before I ordered. I can send you the phone number through a pm if you are interested. The TT-20K is supposed to be a faster update and a little more range on the wireless reading.

Now isnt this funny, in this thread you had a chance to buy a EDT-5 from your dealer and chose not to.

Yeah, remind me. As if I didn't remember myself. :bang: At the time, I didn't know how slow the 7/8 refreshed. They're almost as bad as the ENM $20 tach. You try to do the right thing and get the "upgrade" and it bits you in the azz.

I even tried to get you to find out for me how much your dealer wanted for the edt-5 in stock and you just blew me off. :hmm3grin2orange:

Well, I didn't blow you off so much as I rarely talk to my dealer. He's a part-timer who took over his father's shop and works it a couple nights a week. Never the same nights and maybe one Saturday a month. Leaving a message just doesn't work. He forgets... I've been on the road for 12 weeks so far this year. I just got over to his shop this weekend and picked up stuff I ordered the first week of Feb. But I know you're kidding and I'm not being defensive. Just saying, that's all....

Just to let you know I love the EDT-5 and it super quick read out and refresh rate. I hear the new ones arnt as fast.

Oh, twisting the knife. :buttkick: Oh, the humanity. :sucks: Where's the anti-feedback button... ;)

I went and searched that seller that 04ultra posted and he has the PET-302 forsale. http://cgi.ebay.com/Stihl-ECHO-Tach...ryZ79669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yeah, email going out next... :heart:

I would like to know if anybody is using this edt-8 tach on 4 cyc. engines
Does it work on 2 cylinders or just one ?
also does it hold last max rpm reading ?

I bought an EDT-8 from my dealer a couple months ago.
It only has the display. Reads 0 all the time, hold it next to the spark plug and the rpms are shown with a slight delay. Take it away from the spark plug and it goes back to 0.
No buttons for max rpm, etc.
I also noticed that it goes up in increments of 40 rpms(I think, it's been a while since I used it), so it's not going to be extremely accurate.
I used it to adjust the idle on a forklift at work by holding in next to a plug wire and doubling the rpm readings being the engine was a 4 stroke. So it comes in handy for more than chainsaws. :rockn:

Tech Tach 20k

Just got one of the tech tachs today. Quick question, do chainsaws spark once or twice per revolution? I know this tach can be set to once per revolution, twice per revolution or once every other revolution.
Thanks

Just got one of the tech tachs today. Quick question, do chainsaws spark once or twice per revolution? I know this tach can be set to once per revolution, twice per revolution or once every other revolution.
Thanks

I believe you'll want the tach set on the default (360) setting. Could you fire up a saw and read the idle rpm's? This should give you an idea if the setting is correct. (I didn't answer your question though)

Latest posts

Back