Ms441 MS660 comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

441_Stihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
hi all i'm thinking maybe if can next year trading my 441 for a 660.If I do
I know the 660 should outcut it but will it be a big margin?Of you that have run both what differences have you noticed

They will both run about the same with a 20" bar, small nod to the 660. The bigger 660 will win the race with a longer bar like a 28" or a 36". That is where the extra power of the 660 will be needed. Don't really see one replacing the other, they both have their own purpose. 441 for the 20" and the 660 for the 28" - 36". Of course if you plan on running the 36" a whole lot I would move up again to the 880. JMHO. :)

The 660 is much heavier...If you're running a saw all day long,and not constantly in big wood,you'll wish you had your 441 back.

I know the 660 should outcut it but will it be a big margin?Of you that have run both what differences have you noticed

I wouldn't do it. TZED is right, if you want a 660, you will need both saws. I wouldn't get rid of that 441 for anything, it's a great "all arounder". If you find yourself in the big stuff often, pick up a used 066/660. They aren't hard to find, and a decent one can be had for $400-500. Sell some firewood to make up the difference.

You can make a 660 decimate a 441 with a bigger sprocket on a short bar. The question is, do you want to haul a 660 around when a 441 can do most of the same jobs with much less weight? I love my 066, it's a great saw, and yes, I'm going to say it, probably one of the best saws ever built. Heck, I'd sell mine, but 1) It's not worth much, 2) Lester still finds 36"+ oaks and walnuts on a regular basis, 3) I already own it, 4) I just flat out love the thing, and 5) Did I tell you the part about the "best saw ever made"? It won't get much use anymore since I got the 372 up and running, but it has it's place in the stable. It's earned it's "semi-retirement".

Mark

I wouldn't do it. TZED is right, if you want a 660, you will need both saws. I wouldn't get rid of that 441 for anything, it's a great "all arounder". If you find yourself in the big stuff often, pick up a used 066/660. They aren't hard to find, and a decent one can be had for $400-500. Sell some firewood to make up the difference.

You can make a 660 decimate a 441 with a bigger sprocket on a short bar. The question is, do you want to haul a 660 around when a 441 can do most of the same jobs with much less weight? I love my 066, it's a great saw, and yes, I'm going to say it, probably one of the best saws ever built. Heck, I'd sell mine, but 1) It's not worth much, 2) Lester still finds 36"+ oaks and walnuts on a regular basis, 3) I already own it, 4) I just flat out love the thing, and 5) Did I tell you the part about the "best saw ever made"? It won't get much use anymore since I got the 372 up and running, but it has it's place in the stable. It's earned it's "semi-retirement".

Mark

I think the man likes his 066..:)

They will both run about the same with a 20" bar, small nod to the 660. The bigger 660 will win the race with a longer bar like a 28" or a 36". That is where the extra power of the 660 will be needed. Don't really see one replacing the other, they both have their own purpose. 441 for the 20" and the 660 for the 28" - 36". Of course if you plan on running the 36" a whole lot I would move up again to the 880. JMHO. :)

You don't need a stinkin' 880 to pull a 36" bar. My 066 will sail right through oak with the bar buried. 50", you have a point. 36", no way in hell am I pulling the 3120 out unless the 066 is broken.

Mark

I have not run either saw, but if you can handle the 660 all day nothing will stop it. But as Oldsaw said why trade if you can afford to keep them both.

Bottom line, and I think everyone will agree (yes???): bigger displacement=bigger bar, thats your call.

What wil be the primary use for this saw? Are you really cutting wood that large, or you just play with it and WOW you're freinds?

I will never understand why people want to compare 2 completely different saws that are not even compareable.

If the reason is for "discussion"... well that is just plain silly.:help:

Gary

I'll have to choose either my MS200 OR the Termite... just for discussion though...:chainsawguy:

Termite is hard to reach up high with; 200 can't quite do the old growth. What to do :help: :help: :help: :help:

Back