New stihl 16" bar question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontario026

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just bought a new 16" stihl bar off ebay, and have a couple ???'s about it... The part number for it is 3003 003 7113 It is .325 pitch, 50 ga, 67 drive links.

My first question is: I was under the impression that Stihl bars did not have a greasable tip? This bar seems to have 2 small grease holes like an oregon or such...

The second question is: This bar has a hole approx 3/8" diameter in the centre of the bar, just in from the sprocket area

Are these 2 points normal??

I am not sure of this, but I think that Stihl has sold rebadged "locally" made (Oregon?) bars in North America as an alternative to the German made ones. The part number on the bar is no longer in use, as far as I can see.

It definitely sounds like a rebadged Oregon bar, as they have greasable tips and often have the hole you describe. I also doubt that Stihl has started a bar production facility in Canada, so that also makes it seem more likely it is an Oregon.

So basically I tried to buy a quality stihl bar and got a lesser quality product?

NJforestfire the other larger hole I am referring to is close to the tip, like one that would be used to hold one of those stupid tip guards on...

Some of my smaller saws have that extra hole in the bar near the tip. Probably for the guard as you mentioned. In fact I believe some of the bars are Arbor Pro models with that hole....so it doesn't necessarily mean that the bar you just got is bad or inferrior.

I use that hole at the tip to hang the bars on a nail on the wall. :)

-Matt

bar

There was a short time that Stihl did sell rebadged Oregon bars due to the fact the factory could not keep up with demand. About 2 to 3 years ago I think. Haven't seen them come through since.
I will be the first one to say Stihl makes a real good bar, but I would not knock an Oregon bar either. I stock both, plus Windsor and GB. What ever makes the customer happy. :)

ontario026 said:
So basically I tried to buy a quality stihl bar and got a lesser quality product?...
I would not be surpriced if your bar really is a Oregon Pro-Lite, 160SLGD025 or 160SLBD025 (different numbers of teeth on the nose sprocket).
It should be a good servicable bar that last you a long time..... ;)

Latest posts

Back