Finally found a saw that I cant seem to fix.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, 4 years and it finally happened. We got a saw at work that i cant seem to fix.

It's a Husky 359.

Complaint was simply "Make run right".

I checked it out, had spark, compression was 150 cold and dry with the comp release popped out. Was not getting fuel.

Pulled the carb, kit looked great, no real dirt presense, but I cleaned it all up, put it together and it fired up. I got it to idle decent, but when I went to tach it it on top it went far too high and doesnt respond to the HIGH needle except it will cut out when I turn it in all the way.

If I take off the air filter, I get a TON of reverb (spray) out the throat when it comes off idle, sometimes it has so much reverb with the filter off it will flood when you try to go WOT. SOmetimes not so much reverb.

It isnt hard to get it to idle clean...and it revs good with the filter on, sometimes...but going WOT it just spins right up to 14K and will keep on going unless you let off...

Tried a new plug, fresh fuel, checked for gasket leaks, intake leaks, nada on air leaks. There is some slight vertical scoring on the exh. side of the cylidner, and there is some scoring on the intake side as well.

My thinking is that compression is bleeding past the rings and pressurrizing the bottom of the case, causing the reverb, which blows fuel out of the carb, possibly causing a High rpm LEAN condition?

It is also worse when it is hot, but spark doesnt change, compression dips some when hot, but that is normal.

On a side note, I have a Homie XL-12 that blew 215psi on my comp. gauge....Holy Jesus what a saw!:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

What all have I missed in the last month or so?

Did you check the tank vent?
Not going to mess with compression, but will cause it to blow fuel and run leaner.

Last edited:
Impulse hose cracked?

Checked it, looked fine, replaced it anyways.

Tank vent is good, I ran it on its side with the cap loose, no change at all, nothing.

Saw will start on 3 pulls from cold, and runs great if I tune it in...will idle for as long as you need it to, will cut wood like a champ, but I cant tune in the top speed, and that seems to be the only problem. Again, pop off the air filter and reverb like mad, saw runs 100% different with the filter off.

did you do a vacuum leak test? That sounds like an air leak from a crank seal.

My boss did when I was off work after getting burned, no air leaks. I also sprayed solvent around the PTO side seal with it running, no change at all, sprayed behind the flywheel, no change. Put grease around both crank seals, which can at least temporarily mask an air leak problem...no change at all.

I sprayed solvent around the entire base of the cylidner with it running, nothing at all. Around the boot, intake itself...nothing seems to be leaking.

Sounds like an air leak to me. Check the intake elbow. That much spray sounds like a wonr out piston skirt too.

Checked it, no flaws I can find, and spraying fluid on it resulted in no change in pitch, no change in how it ran, nothing.

Also, side note on something else I got to work on recently...

Replacing the oiler on an 018C is just a a freakin ball...:censored: :censored:

Put a new carb on it???

Too pricey to buy one and put it on there, only to have it do the same thing, and have to eat the price of the carb we probably wont use for 2 years...

Im wondering if there is some sort of valve in the carb, like a high speed governor that might be going bad? Sometimes way rich, sometimes way lean?

Gotta pressure/vac test the case, only way to know it's tight...... but you already knew that. ;)

Did you check the intake boot??

Comp is good but what about the piston its self?? New rings on an old piston with excessive skirt wear?? Does the piston rock in the bore?? When it's running can you hear a rattling sound almost like a clicking/ticking sound that corresponds to RPM??

Gotta pressure/vac test the case, only way to know it's tight...... but you already knew that. ;)

Did you check the intake boot??

Comp is good but what about the piston its self?? New rings on an old piston with excessive skirt wear?? Does the piston rock in the bore?? When it's running can you hear a rattling sound almost like a clicking/ticking sound that corresponds to RPM??

OOOPs started the reply 15 min ago and got side tracked putting the little girl to bed...... carry on. :laugh:

My Grandfather used to say "a man can do anything if he's got the right tools" :D

Oh, I had the right tools, I just didnt have the experience.

I ended up going the long way...dont laugh.

I pulled the A/V carriage, recoil, coil, carb assy., Slid the whole motor out of the frame...popped the oil pump out the bottom, tapped the new one in, then relaized Id done wayyyy more work than I had to, as the pump is accessible from the cltuch side, with the clutch and oiler driver removed...little tricky, but I think it's doable that way, instead of disassembling the entire saw....

But i got paid well, and it oiled right afterwards.

Oh, I had the right tools, I just didnt have the experience.......

Stihl makes a special tool for that style pump, hooks into the AV mount and screws into the pump. Just pull the handle and Bobs your uncle. :D

Same thing only different putting it back in. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back