Green Laser Pointer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Night Owle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Do any of You all use a laser pointer.....
I picked one up about a month ago....Yes I know its a Toy
but boy it is handy...Insted of try to guess witch branches
Mr Jones wants removed You can simply point to them.
You can also use it in a general sweeping motion for brush
removal.I picked mine up on E-bay and use on about 1 out
of 3 Jobs. The distance it shoots is just about unlimited
and the Green beam can be clearly seen on the brightest
of days.....it cost about $45.00 ,for Me it was worth it....

Night Owle......

you got it really cheap. I paid twice that and it still was an excellent investment. Please tell me how you sweep brush with it--yours must be more powerful than mine!:bowdown:

I've been using lasers for about 3 years.
Great to point out a branch to the homeowner or to make sure the crew removes the right branches.
Also I've used it to tell if the tree is located on a property line.

Here's the company I use.
www.z-bolt.com

I have 2 very powerfull expensive ones which I use all the time for estimates and for fun. My kids and friends can find me at crowded places even concerts. One of mine claims to be able to pop a balloon from across the room, but mine wont do it. Imported from china wicked lasers www.wickedlasers.com.

Oh yeah, they can pop balloons and start matches. Here's some of my son's video and pictures on the subject:

video: (35mW advanced purchased from wickedlasers.com)

click for video

(Pulsar 125 and 35mW advanced also purchased from wickedlasers.com)
IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1496-1.jpg

IMG_1493-1.jpg

Last edited:
If you buy a green laser (pen type) there is a chip that you can heat up with a soldering iron to deactivate the limiter on a regular 20 dollar laser pointer and after this modification you can burn things and even start a fire with one. It costs a lot more to buy one that powerfull to begin with but you can do this mod in about 5 minutes.

JoeSawer,

We took apart an LCD projector some time ago and it was full of different, high quality optical devices. In the video my son uses a lens to concentrate the beam and light the match. One the first picture he's just showing refraction/reflection. On the third picture he's using a beam splitter.

He's had an absolute blast with these things, and enjoys taking pictures and shooting video's of his experiments to share with his friends on laser forums. Yes, there are people out there as crazy about lasers as we are of chainsaws!

Hdave,

I'll ask him about the chip modification. If you're ever on the wicked lasers forum, he is "The Cheat". He's kind of like "SawTroll" on this site.

Last edited:
JoeSawer,

We took apart an LCD projector some time ago and it was full of different, high quality optical devices. In the video my son uses a lens to concentrate the beam and light the match. One the first picture he's just showing refraction/reflection. On the third picture he's using a beam splitter.

He's had an absolute blast with these things, and enjoys taking pictures and shooting video's of his experiments to share with his friends on laser forums. Yes, there are people out there as crazy about lasers as we are of chainsaws!

Hdave,

I'll ask him about the chip modification. If you're ever on the wicked lasers forum, he is "The Cheat". He's kind of like "SawTroll" on this site.

Very nice stuff EN. Cool hobby for him to have. How old is your son? Sounds like a chip off the old block.

I'm glad you wrote. I think it was you that did the chain sharpening cut time experiments. Someone revived the thread on sharpening and I mentioned your experiments. Take a look and see if you should chime in.

I've been thinking about mounting a green laser on the top of my Big Shot as an aiming device. Figure I'd need to set it up with X and Y axis adjuster screws so I could calibrate for average height shots, say 70-80 ft. range.
-moss

I've been thinking about mounting a green laser on the top of my Big Shot as an aiming device. Figure I'd need to set it up with X and Y axis adjuster screws so I could calibrate for average height shots, say 70-80 ft. range.
-moss

That sounds like an interesting spare time project. Although, since I got my Big Shot a few months back I have not found the need for extra aiming accuracy. Then again, I have only used it about 10 times. 3 shots at most, usually 1 or 2.

If you buy a green laser (pen type) there is a chip that you can heat up with a soldering iron to deactivate the limiter on a regular 20 dollar laser pointer and after this modification you can burn things and even start a fire with one. It costs a lot more to buy one that powerfull to begin with but you can do this mod in about 5 minutes.

Huskydave, could you give more infor on how to do the mod? Where is the chip? I got a 5 mW green one that I'd like to mod up. Thanks. Erwin

Huskydave, could you give more infor on how to do the mod? Where is the chip? I got a 5 mW green one that I'd like to mod up. Thanks. Erwin

Don't bother, I found the infor all over the web. 5mW to 30 mW in less than 5 minutes

Back