Poulan Pro 330 muffler mod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is what I done to the 330's muffler today. I removed the crosstube, opened the hole up with a die grinder and drilled two 3/8's holes in the top of the diffuser.

I didn't want to go too big at once and as easy as this comes apart you don't have to.

It was raining here today so I only got a few test cuts with it but I can say that it sure as heck didn't hurt anything.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here it is ready to go with a more suited 20" bar and its new bucking spikes.

After the muffler mod it really didn't need much carb adjustments as it was pretty close as is. This thing runs pretty darn good even though my muffler mod was pretty mild. I'll probably open it up a little more later.
attachment.php

Did you leave that removable exhaust port in?
Are you still running 3/8 or did you switch to 325?
I am quite impressed with the way mine cuts with a 16" 3/8 setup. Glad i listened to all you poulan guys and bought one.

When I modded my muffler I removed the cross tube and just eliminated the baffle and spark screen.

Last edited:
Nice mods, pretty much the same as I've done to all three 330's we tested here. On the last one, which we are still working with, I used 4 holes in the center section directly opposite and in line with the two slots. I started out with 3/8" holes, then after the last carb modification, opened them up to 7/16".

The muffler mod is a BIG wake up call for these saws, but surprisingly, it didn't make it abnoxiously loud. Has a really nice sound, much like my Husqvarna 262XP, which is stock.

The fella that ported his, also commented that a muffler mod alone didn't make his saw much louder, maybe something to do with the port timing specifications.

I don't remember reading if the porting made the saw much louder or not?

The 20" bar will also help, I noticed quite an improvement in cutting speed when we modded and installed a Husqvarna small mount 18" bar/chain set-up.....Cliff

Did you leave that removable exhaust port in?
Are you still running 3/8 or did you switch to 325?
I am quite impressed with the way mine cuts with a 16" 3/8 setup. Glad i listened to all you poulan guys and bought one.

When I modded my muffler I removed the cross tube and just eliminated the baffle and spark screen.

What baffle are you talking about? You dont mean the diffuser in the middle that I drilled the holes in do you?

No for right now I just left the saw with a 3/8's chain on it. I do have some .325 bars chains and sprockets to try on it when I get time.

I think the .325 on this may surprise me.

Cliff, I agree that it didn't make it all that much louder.

The way this thing revs and all the carb talk you were talking about I'm thinking very seriously about getting another one of these HDA 164's to but on my 60cc Poulan Pro 365 and see what it does on it.

Looks great Mark.

These saws really run once you start to de-EPA them.

My muffler modd evolved removing all the guts and replace them with two metal supports. A slot was cut out and bent out. Looks something like a shark gill. It has a little over twice the exhaust exit now.

Do you know Mark, if they make an outer dog?

Looks great Mark.

These saws really run once you start to de-EPA them.

My muffler modd evolved removing all the guts and replace them with two metal supports. A slot was cut out and bent out. Looks something like a shark gill. It has a little over twice the exhaust exit now.

Do you know Mark, if they make an outer dog?

I'm pretty sure that they don't make an outer dog.

"The way this thing revs and all the carb talk you were talking about I'm thinking very seriously about getting another one of these HDA 164's to but on my 60cc Poulan Pro 365 and see what it does on it."

Agreed, they really like to rev, and once the muffler mod is done, they pick up a lot of mid-range and top end power.

I'm thinking going the other way, to the smaller 49 carb, to see if it helps with the idle instability I'm seeing. The larger carburetor may be why I'm having troubles, and the saw enjoys a much faster idle speed than any other saw in my line-up.....Cliff

How does the 60 cc run with the 330 carb? Maybe the 60cc 380 jug and slug would 'wake up' the carb already on the 330.. Poking around the internet, ive seen the jug and slug for $82usd.. How much is the smaller carb worth?

Just a thought!

Old51AVE :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
How does the 60 cc run with the 330 carb? Maybe the 60cc 380 jug and slug would 'wake up' the carb already on the 330.. Poking around the internet, ive seen the jug and slug for $58bux.. How much is the smaller carb worth?

Just a thought!

I wouldn't worry about it yet, just take it and run it some. I think they run pretty good they way they are.

It seems that mine and most others idle just fine.

But on the other hand I would also like to know about the p/c for that price as I always seem to have a Poulan project at hand.

Cyl and Piston price update!

OK I goofed, the price I found was just for the cyl only: $53.08usd and piston is $29.71usd... Total $82.79usd. Post edited to clear up confusion!
Thought it was for the set, my appologies! Not sure on posting links to non-sponsors here, please PM for link!

Last edited:
Here is what I done to the 330's muffler today. I removed the crosstube, opened the hole up with a die grinder and drilled two 3/8's holes in the top of the diffuser.

I didn't want to go too big at once and as easy as this comes apart you don't have to.

It was raining here today so I only got a few test cuts with it but I can say that it sure as heck didn't hurt anything.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here it is ready to go with a more suited 20" bar and its new bucking spikes.

After the muffler mod it really didn't need much carb adjustments as it was pretty close as is. This thing runs pretty darn good even though my muffler mod was pretty mild. I'll probably open it up a little more later.
attachment.php

Ok where did you get the spikes at ?

Back