Which Stihl pole saw???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolbrze

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking at buying a new Stihl pole pruner and am curious as to what you all would recommend? One of the fixed length pole saws (HT100 or HT130) or a telescoping pole saw (HT101 or HT131)? Which do you recommend and why?

I would for sure get the telescoping one. i chose the 131 cause i had some pretty large limbs to cut. It does a great job, plenty of torque. Depends on how much power you need and the size of limbs. Either one will do the job. The 4-mix engine is easy to start and runs really strong, I've had a 14 inch bar buried and it won't bog down.

Looking at buying a new Stihl pole pruner and am curious as to what you all would recommend? One of the fixed length pole saws (HT100 or HT130) or a telescoping pole saw (HT101 or HT131)? Which do you recommend and why?

The HT100 is really nothing more than a weed trimmer with a prunner head on it. It has a rubber grip on the tube instead of a handle and thats about it. May as well buy a weed trimmer and attach a prunner head on it and have two tools in one.

The HT101 and the HT131 will get you way up farther to the limbs. Unless your doing it for money the HT101 is fine. The money boys like the HT131 because it has alittle more power to make a faster cut..

We were running an HT101 and tore it up doing storm work. We bought a HT131 to use while they were repairing the 101. The 101 does a lot of sitting in the shop now.

The HT 101 or 131. If by some chance you have your heart set on an HT130, and feel like making a trip to PA...I'd cut you one hell of a deal on two. :)

Very few instances were a fixed shaft unit is functional. Orchard work being one of the very few applications. Otherwise stick with a telescoping unit.

As for the differences...we sell the hell out of both. How big of material do you want to cut?

Ht131

I recently bought the HT131. It works great. I thought it was a little heavy at first but it seemed OK after just a short while. Also, it bogged a bit at first but seems better now that it's broken in somewhat and the weather has warmed up a little. It starts easily and is heavy duty, even with the telescoping extension. I would buy another one.

definitely get a telescoping one... I've got an old HT-75 which is a bit underpowered. but it's a lifesaver for storm work!

a power pole saw allows you to nibble at branches under tension ... from hopefully a safe distance.

I've got a fixed length Shindaiwa and I can see where a telescoping saw would be a whole bunch better. It seems I always want to cut higher than I can reach. If money wasn't a big issue and I didn't know for sure what I would be using it for, I'd go for the telescoping pruner.

I hate the telescoping units. Too heavy and often too long (and a pita to transport). Then there's the repair cost if you damage the shaft... big $$$.

I have a KM130 and TWO carbon fiber attachments (stihl says to only use one..) - that takes me to the same reach as the telescoping.

I would for sure get the telescoping one. i chose the 131 cause i had some pretty large limbs to cut. It does a great job, plenty of torque. Depends on how much power you need and the size of limbs. Either one will do the job. The 4-mix engine is easy to start and runs really strong, I've had a 14 inch bar buried and it won't bog down.
Really? :rolleyes: I have a 14 inch bar, with only a few hours work on it. I gave it to a guy in here just a couple days ago, for the 180's or 170's. He suppose to mail me the money so I can mail him the bar. Now I hope it blows it off and I'll put it on my HT131.

14" on the 131 - that's big, stock is 12" if I remember correctly. If it'll pull that 14" buried, I'm sure it'll do fine w/ a 12"er on it. Reach is ~ 15' w/ the 131 isn't it? The 131 sounds like the way to go. How does it handle way up in the tree?

14" on the 131 - that's big, stock is 12" if I remember correctly. If it'll pull that 14" buried, I'm sure it'll do fine w/ a 12"er on it. Reach is ~ 15' w/ the 131 isn't it? The 131 sounds like the way to go. How does it handle way up in the tree?
Like a utility pole...It's not good.

Like a utility pole...It's not good.
The dealer told me it would pull a 14 inch bar before i bought it. It comes with a 12 inch, i bought the 14 extra. I do not use the 14 all the time just on big limbs and i don't have a lot of them anymore. It does pull the 14 very well. They are too heavy as raymond said to climb with. It would wear you out in a tree trying to hold that thing all day.

I think this is the lightest and most reliable one Stihl sells:

ps80265x150.png

Large 16" curved blade with hook to keep blade in cut. Has bark cutter to prevent bark tearing. Attaches to PP 700 pole or PP 900 set.

All saw blades are made from high quality steel.

All STIHL Precision Series Hand Tools include a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Not worth a dam. That's how I tore up the HT101 I mentioned. However, when you are doing storm work it can be a life saver cutting limbs under tension (as 046 mentioned) or cutting a path in a tree to ascend which is how I tore the 101 up. $300 in repairs s nothing nice.

Not worth a dam. That's how I tore up the HT101 I mentioned. However, when you are doing storm work it can be a life saver cutting limbs under tension (as 046 mentioned) or cutting a path in a tree to ascend which is how I tore the 101 up. $300 in repairs s nothing nice.

That's what I was afraid of. In terms of storm work it would be a big plus. What I'm wondering though is on take-downs for smaller branches high up in the crown you guys don't recommend a pole saw? There are times when we need one so I'm trying to justify spending $650, but don't want to blow the $, then have it just sit...

That's what I was afraid of. In terms of storm work it would be a big plus. What I'm wondering though is on take-downs for smaller branches high up in the crown you guys don't recommend a pole saw? There are times when we need one so I'm trying to justify spending $650, but don't want to blow the $, then have it just sit...
If you was working in a bucket they would be ideal. I'm not a climber but can't see toting it up a tree and using it for any length of time. They get heavy holding one on the ground. Stihl makes a harness that looks like it would take a lot of stress of your shouders and arms. But it wouldn't work in a tree.

If you was working in a bucket they would be ideal. I'm not a climber but can't see toting it up a tree and using it for any length of time. They get heavy holding one on the ground. Stihl makes a harness that looks like it would take a lot of stress of your shouders and arms. But it wouldn't work in a tree.
I never use mine. Ya loose about 3 ft. or so.
Calls for a couple extra Advil at the end of the day though. :agree2:

LOL I even hold the very end balancing it with my fingertips, pushing the throttle at the back, (at the carburetor) for that extra couple feet when needed.

Wish me luck with that.

I never use mine. Ya loose about 3 ft. or so.
Calls for a couple extra Advil at the end of the day though. :agree2:

LOL I even hold the very end balancing it with my fingertips, pushing the throttle at the back, (at the carburetor) for that extra couple feet when needed.

Wish me luck with that.
LOL, done that myself. you feel muscles you didn't know you had at the end of the day.

Latest posts

Back