Snakes in the wood pile!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thechap

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm in the process of stacking and piling wood. I have about two years worth ready. I am currently filling a wood shed which is 12 feet x 16 feet. What do I do if snakes get in the shed. Will I be having a heart attack in the middle of the winter getting an arm full of wood out of the shed. I was moving wood the other day from a stack to the shed and saw a snake and almost died. What do I do??:(

No worries! They'll be pretty docile by the time you need to be hauling wood back out of there!

depends what kind of snakes you find really. snakes have never bothered me personally. id like to get one myself but its one of the only things the wife has totally stomped all over. iv had many reptiles before my kids were born. she never even had a problem when i had the alligator lol. i had him for about 3 years then my first daughter was born so my buddy took him.

We get a fair amount of Copper Heads up this way as well as black snakes. The black snakes still give me a heart attack but the Copper Heads will down right kill me!!

Big snake = many BTU's
Lots of snakes = many BTU's

Seriously they will not be around when the temps drop. They will keep the rats, mice, and gianormous spiders to a minimum also.

Snakes are good. If you're worried about running into one by surprise, make some commotion and noise near the area where you'll be working (toss a couple of logs around). Give the snake a chance to get away. It isn't so keen on seeing you either, they just want to be left alone, and only bite when surprised or agitated.

Speak softly,

and always keep a couple chambers loaded with CCI Snake Shot.
I prefer 38 Special myself, but you're free to chose your own favorite caliber.

Take Care

Treat 'em like employees.

They keep the mice and bugs honest.

Rattlers will keep the neighbors honest.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Snakes are good. If you're worried about running into one by surprise, make some commotion and noise near the area where you'll be working (toss a couple of logs around). Give the snake a chance to get away. It isn't so keen on seeing you either, they just want to be left alone, and only bite when surprised or agitated.

I find that on my first sight of a snake my technique works well. When I have finished screaming and dancing around, they are all gone.

Harry K

Funny, but this weekend I found two black snakes in the wood I was moving to the wood shed. I just moved them along with the wood. We are having a bad year w/mice getting into the house so I was tickled to find them.
It would have freaked the wife out though to see me with a 3' black snake wrapping itself around my arm. The other one was only about 1.5. Also moved 3-4 little ring necks too.

I HATE snakes...but I welcome them in and around my wood stacks...they hopefully will keep the mice from making nests in them and pi$$ing all over the wood. And come winter time, they should be in a hole somewhere waiting out winter.

Sounds like you will prolly never get over your fear of snakes. Send someone else to fetch the wood.

You gave me an idea; place a sign next to your wood pile “BEWARE OF COPPER HEADS!” Theft should decrease.

(Eliminate the mice and the snakes will go away)

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back