Saw buck, or what ever everyone calls them

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neverenough

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Does any one here use one other than me??? If you don't know what I'm talking about I'll try to explain. It's an "X" shaped rig thay you set small logs and branches on to cut them. It helps to hold the small stuff in place. Mines about 4 feet tall at the very top and about 4 feet long with the middle legs offset to hold shorter stuff for cutting. It looks like a picnic table without the top on it.

chainsaw buddy............

has anyone ever tried one of those Chainsaw Buddy gizmos that Bailey's sells?

I just take a log round and cut a V in it. If you look in the pic there is 2 of them, if I'm cutting something long I use both. No metal to worry about and it works very well, and when you cut most of the V away, split em for firewood.

Item No: CB41 ..........i wonder if it is actually "not too bad" for say like up to 7 or 8" diameter cutting.
i would like to see a review of it.

I have and use a CTR buck saw but somehow I don't think thats what you are refering to :rolleyes:

I had no idea anything like that existed. Looks to me like "over engineering" to me. Elegant solution for a minimal problem. I simply use a Larger log and nip these things against it.

Buck saw

Actually, in Newfoundland Canada, it's called a " saw horse" i grew up using it many times over and have on occasion built them, they are rather simple in construction but do a great job of holding "rounds" of up to 8 inch diameter, you could make them to hold bigger wood but the base becomes wider to increase the "v" notch at the top ends. All-in-ALL a very useful piece of kit it also brings the wood to waist level. Lobo has a good pic of one above but it looks mighty unstable would't last long when cutting 8 footers.

Joe

Lobo said:
I think you are referring to one of these !
I use one that looks something similar to that one, but it is built a lot sturdier and has one "X" per firewood length (one foot in my case). There are four "X'es" in total.
It works great for any log that I can easily lift. Heavier stuff is cut on the ground, first about 80% through from one side, then rolled over for finishing the cuts.

doc874 said:
All-in-ALL a very useful piece of kit it also brings the wood to waist level. Lobo has a good pic of one above but it looks mighty unstable would't last long when cutting 8 footers.
Joe
vedeldn5.gif

We used them a lot when I was a kid. My dad had one of those and hand-sawed enough logs to keep us warm all winter. Using the chainsaw was considered a waste of both gas and wood.
We built them ourselves and was a lot more stable than the one pictured here. (we used the chainsaw on the big logs of course, but our logs are mostly small)

We called them "sågbock", which isn't that far from "saw buck". Very practical and simple construction, everyone should have one.

These days we use an electric circle saw. Can't explain it, but it has a saw blade about 2 feet in diameter I guess. Built into a metal house, we use a lever to get the blade up. Makes cutting muuuuch easier :)

Here's a woman from a swedish TV-program :
09torp1.jpg

The saw looks a bit big for her (I'm not sexist though, wouldn't mind seeing her with a 088 :p )

I use a saw horse that I made but it has much higher pieces at the top. I stack a whole bunch of limbs or logs on it at once and run a tie down strap around the whole thing to hold it together. I put pieces on there that are up to about 8' long. I start at one end and just cut straight down through all the logs at once. Have to go from one side to the other when one side gets too short and it will tip to the other with the weight of the pieces you are cutting. You have to be careful to avoid kickback as the loose pieces on top start falling off. Beats walking around making one cut on a small piece over and over again. Plus its all stacked in a pile when your through. About 3 loads on it and I wrestle the saw horse out of teh stack of wood and start over with new pile.

its lots easier to use 2 or 3 small logs on the ground, and use your Pickaroon to pull logs etc up on them crosswise, then buck up the whole pile. Seems that all that lifting would give ya a major back ache, especially an 8 foot 10 inch log, ouch!!!

We call it a "horse" in Scotland. I made my own from some 3x9 rough planks I found. Its still there 25 years on.

However, I now have a better system for cutting small stuff. Roll two bigger logs together and throw the smaller stuff in the depression formed between them. You are less likely to cut your leg off or get hit in the face, but it does involve more bending over.

Lobo said:
I am not sure about this thing.

http://www.chainsawbuddy.com/

yea, i was just curious...i have an small area to clear out with alot of small stuff.....was curious as to getting it cut up fast and throwing in the lawn tractor cart to get it out fast and easy. it kinda looks too good to be true, and looks to work better than it probably does.

Go MANGE! I gotta get me one of them cranes like you got there. though I can simply borrow the neighbors backhoe unit and hold the logs up with that for now. lol.

Latest posts

Back