Breaking in a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clinchscavalry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Someone please direct me to a thread/s dealing with breaking in brand new saws. My search has not turned up anything so far.

Thanks.

Just don't run it at WOT off load and you should be good. Don't baby it, but don't beat it up either. Just run it and don't run it out of gas.

What brand/model? if it is a stihl i could probly tell ya by heart

Not much you can do wrong while breakng in a saw.

Run it a little rich, little extra oil in the mix if you want.

Keep the chain sharp and avoid lugging the engine way down till you get a few tanks through her.

Your just going to feel a little more power with each tank full of fuel.

Congrats, have fun and be safe! :cheers:

Just don't run it at WOT off load and you should be good. Don't baby it, but don't beat it up either. Just run it and don't run it out of gas.

:agree2:
also, saw engines tend to have a little bit of a lean area at mid-throttle. so high revs without a load and avoid muddling through a cut. when you are cutting it should be be runnnig near WOT.

Ahh i see. i did not know that. But for some reason i have the stihl manuals memeorized.

regardless of brand, bitzercreek1 is spot on. Also, always run clean fresh mix, and make sure it 4 strokes out of the cut.

My new 55 doesn't seem to 4 stroke as quickly or as pronounced as my 435 did when pulled up from the wood. Do strato saws have a more pronounced 4 stroke or should I cut off the H screw limiter and richen the 55 up?

My new 55 doesn't seem to 4 stroke as quickly or as pronounced as my 435 did when pulled up from the wood. Do strato saws have a more pronounced 4 stroke or should I cut off the H screw limiter and richen the 55 up?

If it were my saw, I'd richen it up a little. (not to the point where it 4 strokes in the cut)

If it were my saw, I'd richen it up a little. (not to the point where it 4 strokes in the cut)

Ya I think Ill cut off the red limiter tab and fatten her up. How touchy is the H screw on a husky carb, 1/4 to little a half turn too much? Its running good right now bogs a little when you burry the bar in oak,

Set her a bit rich and run it like ya stole it. I don't believe in babying a saw to break it in, they are made to work. $.02

Scott

regardless of brand, bitzercreek1 is spot on. Also, always run clean fresh mix, and make sure it 4 strokes out of the cut.

At my age, stupid questions don't embarrass me at all, to ask that is.

What do you mean by "4 strokes out of the cut" ? I imagine some of y'all will be amused by this:help:

At my age, stupid questions don't embarrass me at all, to ask that is.

What do you mean by "4 strokes out of the cut" ? I imagine some of y'all will be amused by this:help:

you'll know when you hear it, when it's screaming-that's 2 strokin', when it sounds idk...umm like it's not screamin' that's 4 strokin'

My 455 (strato) has a very distinct four-stroke sound, more so than other saws.

for me...............

i only use Stihl Ultra oil and 93 octane Mobil fuel.i run them like i normally would and make sure the carb is adjusted correctly.i have never had an issue.

:agree2:

Hopefully you can richen it up a little. Sometimes the limiters prevent this, which I think is why some folks take it easy on them for break in.

Im gonna cut mine off this weekend when I get out to the wood lot and richen her up. I was worried about my warantee but I think Ill do more harm by leaving the limiters on than taking them off.

4 sroking is the kind of burbleing sound you get basically telling you your geing enough fuel as far as break in i wouldnt change your mix just run it like a saw but dont go overboard and beat he piss out of it

If you are "breaking in" a saw back East... First you need to make sure you have a small screwdriver to use. You will need to have it inserted in the H screw while you are cutting wood for the first 25 tanks of fuel. That way you can adjust the RPM's in the cut to a "fine" setting. You will need a stethoscope (you know... like doctors have) to listen to the engine while cutting.

So when you have the stethoscope against the carb intake boot, and have the screwdriver in the H screw... run the saw though numerous rounds of wood... do this at half throttle, and then 3/4 throttle, and 7/8 throttle, and then finally at WOT. You will need to do this through a lot of wood until 25 tanks of fuel is burned.

Compare your RPM's for each throttle postion and then divide them by 7.987776544200000000000001, and then subtract your body weight fully clothed with safety gear. This will give you your "root" RPM number... take this number... multiply it with pi, and the resulting number will give you the Exact RPM you should have your saw set to "break it in"... then you will have the "fine" setting for your saw... :laugh:

If you are on the West Coast... just go cut wood... you slacker... :laugh:

Gary

Latest posts

Back