Anyone ever try a Swedish Candle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LT100

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I went to an outdoor cookout where a guy rolls in with his truck and he had 1/2 a dozen cedar stumps in the back. He had cut lengthwise about 3/4th the way down. He said they are going to be used for "Swedish Candles" once it gets dark. He had taken his saw and cut across the face of the stump three times so that if you looked down on it, it looked like pizza slices. He stood the logs upright and poured about half a cup of kerosene down the center and let each one sit for about an hour. A quick touch with a cigar lighter and the fuel started to burn. It didn't go up in a big rush, just a nice sort of controlled burn. A few minutes later and the log is burning on it's own from the inside out. The flame was coming out of the center of the log and it only rose up about a foot from the top. It was a really nice effect and I have never seen it done before. It seems like a great way to get rid of a big gnarly piece of wood that didn't make into the stove this season. Just a quick safety note: Using gasoline would be a very, very BAD idea.

I did a google image search and found this link. Hopefully the pictures will fill in some of the gaps that my explanation left.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/camping-rving/710446-swedish-candle.html

Enjoy.

I have heard about them before but never saw one. That is really cool I think I will have to try that one day . Thanks for the post.

Beefie

P.S. A little rep sent your way for a good idea for camp fires

Very cool! - I like burning hollow logs for mostly the same reasons, but I've not run into any yet this winter, so I may have to try the candle technique this summer.

Looks a lot cheaper and nicer than a chimenea....I may have to make a few. Thanks for the info!

Been doing it for a few years.

I've gotten more than funny looks here when I mention standing the splits on end in my stove or camp fire for longer burn times, hotter fire and less smoke.

Yeah, it works very well, better than a pile of sticks that falls in on itself and is gone in half the time.

Latest posts

Back