the widow maker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What we are saying is always look up before you start cutting and well cutting. Now you won't always see or find a widow maker so pay attention and be careful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I picked a few that are high up still a danger for anyone on the ground.
These are in my back yard.

I started cutting today (windy), but could not hear anything other than the saw, after a top fell out of a tree on the other side of the woods.
I started clearing brush and stayed away from the deads.
Felt it wasn't worth it today.
I cut alone.
So yes I try to be safety minded at all times, but it only takes one!

shifting gears a bit.
another question i have is how do you transport your axes?
do you just toss them in the truck?
or do any of you use one of these?
shopping

seems it would be a good use for holding axes inside the truck or van.
or even on a trailer.

So yesterday I was out cutting and splitting by hand.
This morning I noticed that when I was carrying all three axes, one had slipped and I caught it as it grazed my boot. Didn't think anything about it at the time.
This morning when I got ready for work here's what I found.
:laughing:
IMG_20151022_204650628.jpg IMG_20151022_204656724.jpg IMG_20151022_204709926.jpg
Guess that fiskars is still sharp after all!:wtf:

Wow, widow makers, axes, you better have your insurances paid up. All types.

Glad you're posting about your mishaps here and we're not reading it in the papers.

I try to get a rope up in dead trees and put some tension on it to see if it breaks the top off. If not, I make a standard face and only a partial back cut and then pull the tree over. Worst case, it busts the top off and then you have just the stem to finish felling.

The fact that the tree you were felling sat back indicates it was weighted opposite of where you were trying to lay it.

here's a pic of the taco skidder!:popcorn2:
i was quite impressed with how much this truck could pull.
picked it up yesterday, pulled logs out with it today!
IMG_20151025_170909137.jpg

I know I'm going to catch hell for it, but I don't wear a hard hat, or any hat with a brim when felling. I want to be able to look up quickly and not have to peer around a brim. Dead trees give me the willlies and I'm extra, extra careful when cutting them.

When cutting dead trees my head is constantly going from cut to the top of the tree, watching the branches. Before the saw touches the tree, I make sure I have an escape path cleared out. I'm doing the same with a live tree, just not as frequently.

I do have all the other safety gear on tho.

I know I'm going to catch hell for it, but I don't wear a hard hat, or any hat with a brim when felling. I want to be able to look up quickly and not have to peer around a brim. Dead trees give me the willlies and I'm extra, extra careful when cutting them.

When cutting dead trees my head is constantly going from cut to the top of the tree, watching the branches. Before the saw touches the tree, I make sure I have an escape path cleared out. I'm doing the same with a live tree, just not as frequently.

I do have all the other safety gear on tho.

i use a hardhat i like the screen visor when cutting, but have to say i would have been worse off, if i didn't have it on.

i hired a tree contractor to come top out all 11 trees to be dropped. he is the only one with a 85' reach on his bucket truck. locally.
this serves two purposes for me, #1 it takes out the wind leverage when cutting, or even when they are still standing. #2 takes the threat of limbs taking you out, just walking in the woods. safer for all involved.
at a affordable price....

Back