I just cut down my Newport Plum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigfinn

Reaction score
Chicago based... 2019 hired a landscaper to landscape our newly built home. Everything is still looking great except our Newport Plum tree always looked like crap :( I think maybe the first summer it might have blossomed, don't remember.. but I feel that ever since it was planted.. the leaves always had these tiny holes and sap was coming from the tree. I went back to the landscape company and they told me it had some type of bug.. don't remember exactly what bug.. but they gave me spray and fertilizer to treat it. Nothing worked. Next few summers same thing over and over. Finally last year I went back to them and basically said the tree is 2/3 dead and they tell me they actually quit selling the Newport Plums because they were so susceptible to black knot. My tree never got black knot, but 2/3 of it was dead. I'm sad this evening as we just finally cut it down. :( I had high hopes for it but it looked even crappier than the pic below. Now I have to decide what type of tree needs to go there in it's place. The pic of the tree is from Fall 2023.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 8.56.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 8.56.26 PM.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Hi I am in the UK, so the only piece of advice I would give is not to plant a plum or other stone fruit tree as whatever virus, pest, fungi, diesease may still be in the soil. Give it a couple of years, 3-5. If you have to I would go for conference pear or a good diesease resistant apple . But don't plant it in the same place .Good luck .

Back