To look up, or not!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HavinFun

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was watching a video of Buckin’ Billy, and he said to always look up when felling a tree. I recently took a chainsaw safety and felling class taught by pros and attended by pros except for me and another. The lead instructor drilled into us not to look up when the fall starts, but to exit by your pre-determined route. You look up to understand the tree and it hanging up and widow makers, but not after that. Previously he was severely injured when he looked up and caught a falling branch in the face. I do not like to drop trees, too dangerous for my collecting firewood, but will do so on occasion if all appears safe. So, what do YOU do, and why? How we’re you trained? Thanks.

always looking up and down as I cut, waiting on the tree to move, judging pre tension on pull lines, and watching the wood around my hinge for signs of bark peel, barberchair or other problems that I can fix with a simple change in how im cutting as the tree falls
im not a logger, I do residential so we tend to stay "on the stump" the whole time the tree is falling to steer it into an opening, working with a machine usually to assist in direction
the biggest reason NOT to look up the tree, your face shield isn't stopping anything larger than an acorn falling down, your helmet doesn't do much to help you if your head isn't "level"

so, don't stare up the tree the whole time, but keeping your head on a swivel is a really, really big deal, know when to stay on the stump, know when to walk, know when to run, and sure as hell watch for other trees or limbs coming down, rare but its happened where you drop one tree and a limb falls out of another neighboring tree, also when falling stuff near other trees we NEVER walk under the other trees after the tree falls, until we do a visual inspection of the canopy to ensure nothing got knocked loose
just how my company operates and how I do things, everyone has a different way

in the words of my buddy Metaspencer "this isn't exactly a "how to" but more the story of how I did it"

While cutting I look at what I’m doing while glancing up to check on things. Vibration from the saw can knock things loose above. As it starts to move I’m looking for what’s happening up there and choosing which of my escape routes is best. Then I get out. Two or three steps and I place the saw down as I continue out. Hanging around the stump is one of the dumbest things you can do. I’ve witnessed several major injuries and had a friend killed at the stump.

I was watching a video of Buckin’ Billy, and he said to always look up when felling a tree. I recently took a chainsaw safety and felling class taught by pros and attended by pros except for me and another. The lead instructor drilled into us not to look up when the fall starts, but to exit by your pre-determined route. You look up to understand the tree and it hanging up and widow makers, but not after that. Previously he was severely injured when he looked up and caught a falling branch in the face. I do not like to drop trees, too dangerous for my collecting firewood, but will do so on occasion if all appears safe. So, what do YOU do, and why? How we’re you trained? Thanks.

If he had been looking up while progressing his cut to the point of falling, he may have seen the branch coming at him and been able to move or at least brace himself for the impact.

Any time you can be looking up while falling, you most likely should be, though there are lots of things in different places to keep track of at all times on many trees.

I'm a bit old and stiff in the neck to do a good job of looking up and down all the time. Very little of my tree felling requires constant monitoring, since the big deciduous trees in this area are pretty simple to confirm what is happening by watching the cut opening as the tree proceeds. I don't need to hang around the stump under the pretext of aiming it, either. The tree always goes where I told it to go, so hanging around nibbling on a hinge isn't what I am inclined to do.

If I think a tree is going to bang me with a big branch, I'll set a rope and break it off before I get under the tree. That, or park a loader bucket over my head. Sometimes I set a rope, make the necessary cuts, then run away and tell the guy on the pull rope to take it down.

I've never been beaned on the noggin' yet. Not even had any near misses that I can remember.

I'm a bit old and stiff in the neck to do a good job of looking up and down all the time. Very little of my tree felling requires constant monitoring, since the big deciduous trees in this area are pretty simple to confirm what is happening by watching the cut opening as the tree proceeds. I don't need to hang around the stump under the pretext of aiming it, either. The tree always goes where I told it to go, so hanging around nibbling on a hinge isn't what I am inclined to do.

If I think a tree is going to bang me with a big branch, I'll set a rope and break it off before I get under the tree. That, or park a loader bucket over my head. Sometimes I set a rope, make the necessary cuts, then run away and tell the guy on the pull rope to take it down.

I've never been beaned on the noggin' yet. Not even had any near misses that I can remember.

I work alone in the woods a fair amount. Ropes and winches/rigging make it possible for me to safely get a lot done that would otherwise be too risky, especially without someone to spot.

I agree that many trees don't need constant monitoring, but it's a good practice to learn.

I never hang at the stump.

I look up a lot before making my back cut but after that I'm focused on the kerf and looking for the smallest of movement.

Once movement is detected I exit my planned route rapidly.

I've seen some tree butts do some unexpected jumping around.

After the tree is down I inspect overhead for any hanging branches, etc, before entering the trunk area.

Every tree situation is different but you can usually tell where the dangers are. Cutting in wooded areas are much more dangerous than a lot of residential yards. It's often the neighboring tree branches that are gonna get ya. Butts jumping on ya needs hills/snags/kinks or bends in the tree. I'm looking up most of the back cut, looking down only to check my hinge width. Tree is gonna move a lot before kerf opens up any. If there is danger near by or a chance of a butt jumpin i'm gettin out of there as soon as it's committed.

In US wildfire, the company line is:

1. Look up frequently while cutting.
2. Always use one of the two escape routes when the tree starts to move.
3. While using the escape route, keep an eye on the tree from time to time.

That's from the book, and what the Mother-ship intends to be taught in the saw class.

What is taught and what is practiced....

I generally don't look up while cutting. I almost always plunge backcut with a separate release cut. My theory is...the tree is nearly perfectly stable until I release it. Sure, stuff falls out of undisturbed trees all the time...and, that could happen while I am at the stump. But, I feel, not looking up helps me spend less time at the stump and produces higher-quality cuts.

Sometimes, I glance at the tree, as it is falling, and as I am walking away.

Sometimes, I feel I have a good reason to stay at the stump as the tree falls.

Roy

Attachments

• 2021 pms 212 Saw Ops.pdf
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
In US wildfire, the company line is:

1. Look up frequently while cutting.
2. Always use one of the two escape routes when the tree starts to move.
3. While using the escape route, keep an eye on the tree from time to time.

That's from the book, and what the Mother-ship intends to be taught in the saw class.

What is taught and what is practiced....

I generally don't look up while cutting. I almost always plunge backcut with a separate release cut. My theory is...the tree is nearly perfectly stable until I release it. Sure, stuff falls out of undisturbed trees all the time...and, that could happen while I am at the stump. But, I feel, not looking up helps me spend less time at the stump and produces higher-quality cuts.

Sometimes, I glance at the tree, as it is falling, and as I am walking away.

Sometimes, I feel I have a good reason to stay at the stump as the tree falls.

Roy
Since attending a recent arborists conference, our employer has insisted on us almost always using a bore cut instead of a back cut.
I didn't like it all that much at first, but have found it an exceptionally safe method to make a felling cut. This allows for careful inspection of the tree, notch, and hinge. As well, you can make necessary adjustments for redirection before the final cut is made. Perfect hinge almost every time this way.

And another note, if you suspect a possible barber chair - this cutting method almost avoids that problem 100%

I'm glad we made the switch, I now feel far more safe, secure, and confident when felling.

Since attending a recent arborists conference, our employer has insisted on us almost always using a bore cut instead of a back cut.
I'm glad we made the switch, I now feel far more safe, secure, and confident when felling.

My story was similar.

Watched my first demo of bore back-cut. My thought: stupid and unnecessary.

Couple years later, second demo, the guy cut the hinge, and the tree went 90* off. My thought: stupid, unnecessary, and dangerous.

Couple years later, the the agency I was working for demanded everyone become competent with the bore back-cut and I was taught by a couple of first-rate guys.

I have since totally drunk the Open-face Bore-cut Cool-aide.

Not that I don't all the time work around people who cut differently than I do. Fine with that.

Roy

My story was similar.

Watched my first demo of bore back-cut. My thought: stupid and unnecessary.

Couple years later, second demo, the guy cut the hinge, and the tree went 90* off. My thought: stupid, unnecessary, and dangerous.

Couple years later, the the agency I was working for demanded everyone become competent with the bore back-cut and I was taught by a couple of first-rate guys.

I have since totally drunk the Open-face Bore-cut Cool-aide.

Not that I don't all the time work around people who cut differently than I do. Fine with that.

Roy
Our main climber last year was very insistent on doing things his way. Even sparked an argument with the boss on one site. Oh that was a doozie, customer was present on site..

Boss was in the mini ex, tensioning the pull line for a big dead red pine. We were felling it close to the septic lid on the property.

Face cut made, and the guy was about to start his back cut when the boss asked over our com system "aren't you gonna bore cut it?.." he didn't wanna, and it escalated.. customers went inside.

Finally Boss said "ok do it your way but it's not gonna be my liability if something goes wrong"

Felling cut was made, and the tree veered off course. Landed right on the septic lid.
Thankfully no damage to the tank, replacement lid was 125 bucks

I was taught the plunge cut too to create a trigger. When ready to drop, cut the trigger and get out of Dodge. Looking to where I’m heading and not up at tree at this point is safest for me. Best of luck to all and safe cutting.

Latest posts

Back