Ductape's Ponderings From The Woodpile..........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ductape

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I spent a little time on the woodpile yesterday. I'm working on my 09-10 stockpile...... hopefully i have enough to run into 10-11's supply.

Birthday024.jpg

I finally got around to taking a couple pics of the "shelf" i made a couple years ago for my splitter. My splitter is a Yard Machines, bought at the orange big-box store about five years ago. FWIW.... i love that splitter, its been great to me! The shelf holds the chunks as i'm splitting them, so i don't have to keep picking them up off the ground as i split. Its a real back saver ! I removed the horizontal part of the original "log holder" and made this to bolt on in is place. Basically about a 22" X 22" piece of steel plate. I welded two pieces of flat stock to the bottom with holes drilled in appropriate places.

Birthday021.jpg

Birthday022.jpg

Birthday023.jpg

Last year we purchased a larger stove..... a V.C. Defiant. Stepping up from an older Reloslute Acclaim. With the resolute, 16" wood was max, the Defiant takes 24" wood. I've started cutting my wood to 20" now........ and i made a couple discoveries !! 20" wood is much heavier to handle (or am i just getting old???) !!!!! But..... on the plus side, the stack is much more stable.

Scrounging for free wood is very inefficient. There are so many small pieces of wood left over after cutting the wood to length. If given the opportunity, i will always cut my wood to length on location. Obviously, when wood is already on the ground you don't have that option. Last year, i heated our house for two to three weeks on the odds 'n ends. This year, it'll be longer since i have alot more odds 'n ends. Free wood is free wood, so it'll all get burned....... sure makes for alot more handling though !!

Stay safe out there folks !!!

Last edited:
Nice Pix Duct,

I like the table on your splitter. Think I'll fab up one similar for mine! Like you, I also own a Yard Machines splitter, 5 hp, 4" inch cyl, 2 stage 11gph pump. While they are not "fashionable" around here, I've owned mine for 5yrs goin on 6, and it's never given me a single problem. It splits everything I throw at it and works 6-8 cords a year. Think I paid $899 brand new for it, so it's certainly earning it's keep.
I bolted a couple of extension strips with hooks (90 degree) on the ends too those wing pieces you used. They work but are not as "heavy duty" as your table. Your's does duty as a motor cover too I see.
I also have fish totes like your two chip/bark catchers (milk crates?) under the beam except that the fish tote is about the size of those two together and covers the motor when done.
Good score on the VC Defiant too. They are a good stove and really crank out the heat. I like the top/side loading ability too. :cheers:

Back