066 Issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glennschumann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
And no, it is not because it is not a Husky...

I've got an 066 that does two things I don't like:

1: It idles, but when I turn it on its side (like to mill as I do 98% of the time with my saws) the idle drops, and it often dies. It does not matter how much gas is in the tank.

2: When it idles, it is a bit rough... occassionally it 'bangs' hard enough to get the chain turning, and I cannot turn it down too far, or I run into problem 1.

Are these 'stump the Stihl expert', or is there an easy fix like a carb kit?

As always, many thanks to the collective wisdom of AS.

Might be a seal, but it it could be as simple as too rich on the L. Gas pools in the crankcase and floods the engine when it tilted.

Also.. too rich at idle can also be a leaking main valve... The just punch out of the carb from the inside to the venturi

Could be as bad a trashed main bearings...

Last edited:
I feared that it might be the clutch side seal, (you get a nice good seal with gas when you tip it on its side) but I was hoping for something I could fix. The L is set at 1 turn out, but if there is a leak in the carb, I can probably deal with that. I'd like to think the bearings are good, but I'd have to look more closely. The saw is in good shape, and the piston doesn't even have a scratch, so a seal or two might be in order.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back