066 clone wont run after carb replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lloyyd

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I bought a Neotec 066 a while back and it's given me fits. It would never start consistently so I finally just replaced the carb with another cheapo non Stihl carb. This one starts easily but refuses to stay running. Pops on 1 pull on full choke, then starts up on 3-4 pulls at fast idle, runs a couple seconds and dies. If I try to give it gas it revs for a couple seconds, still dies. I've tried L and H at 1/4 turn out, 2.5 turns out and everything in between.

More info:
It probably has 1.5 hrs run time.
I deleted the base gasket as soon as I got it, piston looks perfect.
When it would start with the old carb it ran great and idled perfectly.

Any suggestions where to go from here would be appreciated.

With Chinese clone carbs, this is what you can expect. Poor metering and delivery and inconsistency across the board.

Essentially though, the situation you have is a lean low speed setting (you never got to full throttle so can’t comment on that). This could be caused by a lack of fuel, or too much air.

With Chinese clone carbs, this is what you can expect. Poor metering and delivery and inconsistency across the board.

Essentially though, the situation you have is a lean low speed setting (you never got to full throttle so can’t comment on that). This could be caused by a lack of fuel, or too much air.
Thank you, I'll try to richen it up more. I'm willing to get an OEM Stihl carb if it would clear these issues up, may just bite the bullet and do that. I'm aware of the Chinese saw shortcomings.

I have a 562xp but some big trees fell on my parents land and I needed something bigger. I don't use it much so I don't wanna fight with it when I do need it.

Thank you, I'll try to richen it up more. I'm willing to get an OEM Stihl carb if it would clear these issues up, may just bite the bullet and do that. I'm aware of the Chinese saw shortcomings.

I have a 562xp but some big trees fell on my parents land and I needed something bigger. I don't use it much so I don't wanna fight with it when I do need it.
All good, no judgement my end with whatever you choose to run, clone or oem. All I care about is you getting it running and having fun.

Try opening the L screw (you may need to compensate in the drop of RPM’s by screwing in the idle screw to pick them back up) and go from there.

All good, no judgement my end with whatever you choose to run, clone or oem. All I care about is you getting it running and having fun.

Try opening the L screw (you may need to compensate in the drop of RPM’s by screwing in the idle screw to pick them back up) and go from there.
Will do, thanks again. 👍

I haven't, that's not something I've ever done and don't have the tools. Might be something I need to get.
2 strokes are completely reliant on a fully sealed crankcase for correct metering of fuel and air. Minor leaks above the upper transfers doesn’t have much affect to combustion, below them and you can burn your engine up in short order. If you plan on getting involved in any repair, 2 stroke or 4, one of the most useful tools in your tool box will be a p&v tester. Just a few of the most common uses I use mine for are:

P&v test
Fuel lines
Fuel filters
Impulse lines
Oil lines
Duck bill valves
Carb tests - needles, gaskets, purge bulbs
Of course other seals and gaskets
O-rings

Down and dirty leak test, spray non-cloreanated brake cleaner around the clutch and flywheel, if it kills the saw at idle = you definitely have a leak in a seal. It can be sprayed around your cylinder base as well.
I honestly haven't had a terrible time with aftermarket carburetors, one for a stihl too handle was no good but other wise fairly solid runners.

I'd check the impluse and fuel lines.
If the impluse line is leaking a bit it wont get enough fuel to run right or it will be inconsistent as it seals up from time to time.
I looked it over as best I could without removing the gas tank, it looks new, as it should, it basically is. I'm gonna tackle it again tomorrow, didn't feel like it today after cutting in the heat.

Latest posts

Back