Why is the Stihl 260 Pro a pro saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK so nobody is gonna tell the man that half of the case on the 270 is plastic???

Or that it is a modified clamshell construction on a magnesium lower half???

Or that the "improved" anti-vibe is so soft a lot of guys are tearing the intake boot even with a moderate pull on a stuck saw???

The 260 is a much better saw in materials, design, and construction.... get it and don’t look back, you won't be sorry you spent the extra few bucks on it in 20 years. :cheers:

Last edited:
OK so nobody is gonna tell the man that half of the case on the 270 is plastic???

Or that the "improved" anti-vibe is so soft a lot of guys are tearing the intake boot even with a moderate pull on a stuck saw???

The 260 is a much better saw in materials, design, and construction.... get it and don’t look back, you won't be sorry you spent the extra few bucks on it in 20 years. :cheers:

I was just fixin' to say the same Erick, you beat me to it.:hmm3grin2orange:

:agree2::givebeer:

+++++

Yes, yes yes. All I can add is that working on a 260 compared to a 270 or 290 is a radical difference. I actually enjoy taking mine apart.
Working on the 1127's is no fun.

Thanks for the information!!!

Learned that the 270/280 are really nice saws. However, based on the posts here and other reading, decided to get the 260 Pro. Found a great little Stihl dealer about 25 minutes away. MS 260 Pro with 18" bar, plus case, $500. I'm not looking back. Now if I could just talk myself into a 361. At the suggestion of
DEERJW, tried to put up a pic. Attached if I got it right. Be safe and thanks again.

Last edited:
The 260 is a pro saw because of its construction. The 260, 361, 441, 460, 660, and 880 all have similiar construction in that they have a vertically split magnesium case with a seperate bolt on cylinder. They all have a similiar rear handle/fuel tank made of plastic. The 170/180, 210/230/250, and 270/280 all have a clam shell style engine construction where the crankcase is built into the cylinder. A cap on the bottom end secures the crank. The main difference in the 270/280 is that the chassis that the clam shell bolts into is all magnesium. It is much stronger than the all plastic chassis of the other home owner saws. None of the clamshell style engines are desireable for modding. They are also more difficult to work on.

Learned that the 270/280 are really nice saws. However, based on the posts here and other reading, decided to get the 260 Pro. Found a great little Stihl dealer about 25 minutes away. MS 260 Pro with 18" bar, plus case, $500. I'm not looking back. Now if I could just talk myself into a 361. At the suggestion of
DEERJW, tried to put up a pic. Attached if I got it right. Be safe and thanks again.
attachment.php

Well done. :clap:

And since you have the 260 now I'd skip the 361 and go straight for the MS460. :D

:cheers:

Uh oh what did I just do LOL

Back