Why is the Stihl 260 Pro a pro saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianaOutdoors

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
And what separates if from the 270/280 other than the obvious? Basically, is it worth the price difference? New guy here getting educated and enjoying the discussion.

I have a 260 Pro. It is basically just like the bigger pro saws. I think the guts of the saw are made better and it has a compression release and adjustable oiler. Very good saw. Cuts surprisingly well for its lack of displacement. With a modded muffler it rips:chainsaw:

Last edited:
cherry, you forgot to mention that the 260 has 'pro' written on top of the case :). Seriously though, it depends on what you're doing with it, I.O.. If you're just cutting up pine limbs that have dropped in your yard once or twice a year, you probably don't need the 260. However, if you're like me and have some acreage and several hardwoods down and more that need to be dropped, you'll probably want it. Also, you may want to go to your local Stihl dealer and hold the two side by side, inspect the quality of the builds of each and then decide. Like I said, you might not need the 260, but if you ever use it after the 270, you'll probably want it.

thanks, greener

great hearer from 260Pro users. I've held them both. the 270 more than meet my needs. just can't get the 260 off my mind and trying to justify the price difference($80-$90).

if the saw ever need a top end rebuild its much cheaper than and parts are avalable everyone while the other saws will cost mor to rebuild and parts arent available as much

I'd be careful , depends what your cutting and how much and if weight and money are an issue , depending on all that you might want the 361

I have never ran a 270/280 but have ran a many 026s, you won't find a better limber than a 026/260 with a 16" b&c. Parts are easy to find and a very simple saw to work on.

Realistically, a 180/210 is more than enough for a cord a year, a 250 for 2-3 cords a year, a 290 for 4-6 cords a year, 280 for 7-8 cords a year, and a 260/361 for more. Of course if you're alot of big hardwood you'll want a bigger saw, but for 4''-12'' hardwoods (firewood size) you don't need a big powerful saw. Another thing, doesn't a 270/280 have better antivibe than a 260? Cheaper and better antivibe are two +'s for a homeowner. A 260 is made to handle constant use and will outlive the average homeowner. A 270/280/290 probably will too honestly.

I was in the same position last week. Paid the extra and went with the 260. Used it this morning and with a 16" bar and RSC chain it had no problem bucking up a 14" dbh red oak. I think I'm really going to like this saw ..... super light and suprisingly powerful. Very happy with my decision (although I never ran the 270).

I would rather buy the 270 and get better antivibe than a 260 and save a hundred bucks over the 260. When I bought my 026 in 2002 the 270 and 280 were not on the market.

I would rather have a 280 over a 260 by a mile if I only had one saw.

They are all good saws.

But, I was never so happy as when I sold my 250 and 290 then got the pro quality saws. I think the 270 and 280 are a pro quality saw even if they are more work to rebuild than a 260. I do not care about rebuilding. The saws will kill me before I kill them.

As always, having razor sharp chain is more important than cc's and HP when the cuttting gets tough. Basic muffler mods are worth the effort, too.

Last edited:
thanks to all for the information. Seems to be a close call based on the responses. and really only considering the 50.0cc saws...the 270 vs 260. any others out there with real world experience with both? does the antivibe feature of the 270 give it an advantage in that respect? If there is in fact little difference in the vibration between the two, then the 260 wins hands down. Maybe i can settle this thing today and get a saw!

I think AV is overated in a 50cc saw. I'd go with the 260. It's a # lighter and it will most likely be the last 50 you'll ever buy. But,If you want to sell it later it will bring more $.

Latest posts

Back